Pool pump won't prime

dombey

Apr 25, 2010
Oregon
Ok I have read everything I can find and I'm about to give up...
We're talking ZERO prime. No water movement.
In-ground pool
I've checked for air leaks everywhere that is exposed, cleaned all the skimmers, tried blasting water in every intake possible... Disassembled the pump and jandy valves, opened up the filter, opened the slide valve...
The only things I believe I have not eliminated are:
-suction side underground air leak or obstruction
-filter may be clogged (just got back from a trip), but I can't clean it without the pump priming

What else can it be????

Ok I was able to successfully blow air from the pool vacuum inlet back to the filter. I also blew from the skimmer but it shares a line with the main drain so all I got was bubbles coming out the main.
As long as one is clear I should be able to prime so I don't think it is an obstruction of the suction lines...
Next I'm going to try to blow through the entire system...pool vac inlet>filter>return jets....

I have poured water in; with the lid off it runs back into the suction line, the water that remains appears to draw into the filter, although the pressure doesn't register on the gauge nor do I get any flow out of the jets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Any chance the pump is just torched from running dry in 105 degrees for a few days?
Yikes! That's pretty significant info. Has it primed since?

No. I got home and my wife told me it hasn't been working (would been useful several days ago). I tried running it this morning and nothing.
When I opened up the pump all I did was inspect the impeller and parts that touch water... Motor seems to be running fine.

The lack of water may have damaged the pump but the hayward pumps are borderline bullet proof in my experience. In the past i have taken my garden hose and just kept dumping water into the pump basket until the lines were full then recovered it and turned the pump on

FamilyGuy said:
The lack of water may have damaged the pump but the hayward pumps are borderline bullet proof in my experience. In the past i have taken my garden hose and just kept dumping water into the pump basket until the lines were full then recovered it and turned the pump on

I let it run for an hour this morning; it never overflows because the water just runs back into the suction line...I can't imagine the lines are that voluminous so it has to be running back into the pool, right?
For the record I've never been able to get it to overflow.

You could try closing all your valves ("to pool", "skimmer" and "drain"), then filling the basket and putting the lid back on (water should not drain out). Then open the valves (if there are no leaks water should still be in basket), then turn on pump.

dombey said:
FamilyGuy said:
Hmmm. When you turn the pump on does it sound like its running " normal"?

Yes, although it sounds dry, like there is no load... Because it isn't pumping water.
Maybe there is no load because the impeller isn't turning.

Some impellers are 100% molded plastic. In an excessive heat situation, the threaded part of the impeller that connects to the motor shaft can get reamed out. The shaft still goes through the impeller and the impeller will appear to turn freely when you try to turn it by sticking your finger in it through the opening in the pump basket. However, the impeller isn't turning at all via the motor 'cause it isn't connected to the shaft.

Solution: replace the impeller. The new generation of Hayward Superpump impellers have a threaded brass insert for attachment to the motor shaft versus the old plastic ones. And, get a seal kit, while you're at it.

I'm assuming that the motor still works after the overheating episode.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.