Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump won't prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump won't prime

Ok I have read everything I can find and I'm about to give up...
    We're talking ZERO prime. No water movement.
    In-ground pool
    I've checked for air leaks everywhere that is exposed, cleaned all the skimmers, tried blasting water in every intake possible... Disassembled the pump and jandy valves, opened up the filter, opened the slide valve...
    The only things I believe I have not eliminated are:
    -suction side underground air leak or obstruction
    -filter may be clogged (just got back from a trip), but I can't clean it without the pump priming

What else can it be????
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump won't prime

Do you have the ability to run the pump in recirculate or waste to see if its a clogged filter? Or try blowing out the suction line with a garden hose or shopvac?
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

3. Back To Top    #3

I just have a two way slide valve so just filter and backwash...
    I have tried blowing out the lines but only with a standard hose and rag... I may need to just be more industrial strength...
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok I was able to successfully blow air from the pool vacuum inlet back to the filter. I also blew from the skimmer but it shares a line with the main drain so all I got was bubbles coming out the main.
    As long as one is clear I should be able to prime so I don't think it is an obstruction of the suction lines...
    Next I'm going to try to blow through the entire system...pool vac inlet>filter>return jets....

5. Back To Top    #5

If that worked check that the pumpbasket lid is sealing tight i use the pool and spa lube in conjuntion with the gasket for a super tight seal
    Nathan

6. Back To Top    #6

It is sealing tight. Relubed it and checked by spraying soap water all over it...
    Any chance the pump is just torched from running dry in 105 degrees for a few days? I assue it shut itself off, but...

7. Back To Top    #7

I just successfully blew air from vac inlet all the way thru the system and out the return jets.
    Where does tat leave me? Air leak or pump is shot are the only things that seem to make sense...??

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Any chance the pump is just torched from running dry in 105 degrees for a few days?
    Yikes! That's pretty significant info. Has it primed since?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you poured water into the pumpbasket? If so does the pump suck that water into the filter or no
    Nathan

10. Back To Top    #10

I have poured water in; with the lid off it runs back into the suction line, the water that remains appears to draw into the filter, although the pressure doesn't register on the gauge nor do I get any flow out of the jets.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hmmm. When you turn the pump on does it sound like its running " normal"?
    Nathan

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Any chance the pump is just torched from running dry in 105 degrees for a few days?
    Yikes! That's pretty significant info. Has it primed since?
    No. I got home and my wife told me it hasn't been working (would been useful several days ago). I tried running it this morning and nothing.
    When I opened up the pump all I did was inspect the impeller and parts that touch water... Motor seems to be running fine.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
    Yes, although it sounds dry, like there is no load... Because it isn't pumping water.

14. Back To Top    #14

The lack of water may have damaged the pump but the hayward pumps are borderline bullet proof in my experience. In the past i have taken my garden hose and just kept dumping water into the pump basket until the lines were full then recovered it and turned the pump on
    Nathan

15. Back To Top    #15

The lack of water may have damaged the pump but the hayward pumps are borderline bullet proof in my experience. In the past i have taken my garden hose and just kept dumping water into the pump basket until the lines were full then recovered it and turned the pump on
    I let it run for an hour this morning; it never overflows because the water just runs back into the suction line...I can't imagine the lines are that voluminous so it has to be running back into the pool, right?
    For the record I've never been able to get it to overflow.

16. Back To Top    #16

I have had to put hose bib on suction line and hook up a hose for extra water to get some pumps prime...never will prime with basket lid off

17. Back To Top    #17

I would use wet vac and see ,if you can suck water from the pool from the suction line

18. Back To Top    #18

You could try closing all your valves ("to pool", "skimmer" and "drain"), then filling the basket and putting the lid back on (water should not drain out). Then open the valves (if there are no leaks water should still be in basket), then turn on pump.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by dombey
    Yes, although it sounds dry, like there is no load... Because it isn't pumping water.
    Maybe there is no load because the impeller isn't turning.

Some impellers are 100% molded plastic. In an excessive heat situation, the threaded part of the impeller that connects to the motor shaft can get reamed out. The shaft still goes through the impeller and the impeller will appear to turn freely when you try to turn it by sticking your finger in it through the opening in the pump basket. However, the impeller isn't turning at all via the motor 'cause it isn't connected to the shaft.

Solution: replace the impeller. The new generation of Hayward Superpump impellers have a threaded brass insert for attachment to the motor shaft versus the old plastic ones. And, get a seal kit, while you're at it.

I'm assuming that the motor still works after the overheating episode.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok, I got it working...
    Replaced all rubber parts/seals, basket cover, ceramic seal assembly...
    It now works.
    Except now I have other issues, which I will post separately...