Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help -Top Ring Vinyl cleaners?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help -Top Ring Vinyl cleaners?

My 18' Intex top ring has some brownish substance on it (hardened) which will not wipe off. Any ideas on what eveyone uses to clean their top ring? It's not all around the ring, only in some areas. Does not seem like tree sap, not sticky, just hard crust. I have never had this before, and its our 3rd summer with the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Top Ring cleaners?

Try one of those Magic Erasers...amazing what they will do.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

These are probably solid deposits, water splashing repeatedly on the ring evaporated leaving behind all dissolved solids, over time solid deposits became thick enough to be visible, mainly calcium with a bit of chloride bound to it.

Most of these deposits can be removed with light scrubbing using some soft wet cloth material (not an abrasive sponge), the most difficult ones can be persuaded using a soft cloth soaked in vinegar.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Try one of those Magic Erasers...amazing what they will do.
    Nope, didn't even touch it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Top Ring Vinyl cleaners?

I have also now tried vinigar, nope..........

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Help -Top Ring Vinyl cleaners?

Vinegar is a very "mild" acid, so it might take some time and effort, the objective being to see if the deposits are diluted by acid.

Signs of dilution would be the cloth changing color, taking the color of the deposit.

If vinegar does dilute the deposits, then let the soaked cloth on the deposits for some time and see if they come off then, after the vinegar had some time to act.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay. I have soaked a cloth in vinegar nad have it laying on it for a bit. I will check it every 5 minutes to see whats happening.

8. Back To Top    #8

Nope, vinegar does not work. Left a cloth soaked all night on a spot, didn"t even fizz it.

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought some vinyl cleaner from the pool store called Amaze..........didn't amaze me, stains still there after scrubbing like the dickens.

Any other suggestions?

10. Back To Top    #10

Goo Gone? I have good luck with that on things. Is the brown tacky? Could it be sunscreen - that leaves some nasty stains on my concrete.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

11. Back To Top    #11

I have tried goof off, clorex wipes, citrus wipes, and even a little dab of acetone (whcih I quickly wiped and hose off)

Nothing..............

12. Back To Top    #12

If it is just cosmetic, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is sticky though, that would bug me.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

13. Back To Top    #13

Ended up that using chlorine and a lot of scubbing helps. Is not perfect, but looksa lot better than before.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi. I am in Australia and have exactly the same problem! I know this is an old thread so won't go into it but if anyone out there can assist or point me in the right direction that would be great.

15. Back To Top    #15

Nope, I ended up scrapping the pool and bought an Ultra one instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Hi. I am in Australia and have exactly the same problem! I know this is an old thread so won't go into it but if anyone out there can assist or point me in the right direction that would be great.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.