pH steady TA slowly rising

Charlie_R

TFP Expert
May 8, 2013
Mexico, MO
For the past two months, testing the TA every two weeks, I've noted a very slow but steady rise in the TA. Past three weeks of daily pH testing has shown steady at about 7.5

When I filled/opened the pool, TA was 190, same as fill water. Lowered it using acid/aeration to ~100.

Test this morning showed 160.

I've had to add water several times, but no more than 2" at any one time.

Fill water at filling showed 190, today's test shows 280. Problem at the water plant?

I'm guessing that I've answered my own question as to why the TA is rising, but that doesn't answer why the pH would be rock steady through this.

but that doesn't answer why the pH would be rock steady through this
Well, it's a good problem to have, right? (Charlie, I think you're becoming a pool snob like many of us :mrgreen: )

My first inclination is to test the pH of your fill water......I don't think that'll be the answer but it's worth knowing.

I only used pucks for the initial CYA. Pool has been using a 121 oz bottle of 8.25% about every two weeks. Holding fairly steady between 4.5 (lowest I'll let it go) and 6.5 an hour after dosing

CYA at ~35 (1/3 above 40, guestimating the log scale).

Well, that certainly is a puzzle. About the only things that drive down pH in a pool are pucks or low pH fill water.

I sure don't have an answer but a lot of folks (me included) would gladly trade their pool water for yours. :lol:

This may sound a bit odd, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

for several days before my normal full test day, the pool water was giving off an odor I've always associated with public pools. Not the chloramine odor, the "something's not right" old pool water smell. Hard to describe. At most, I've had .5 CC this year, and I know what chloramines smell like.

Now that I have the TA back down to 100 with the aerate/acid routine --shooting for 80-- the smell is gone.

I could only smell it while in the water, with my nose just above the surface.

Test results this morning:

FC 4.0 (lowest I'll let it get)
CC 0.0
pH 7.8 before another dose of MA
TA 100
CH didn't test
CYA didn't test -- ~35 last test

pH 1 hour after dose 7.0, still with the aerator going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.