Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH steady TA slowly rising

1. Back To Top    #1

pH steady TA slowly rising

For the past two months, testing the TA every two weeks, I've noted a very slow but steady rise in the TA. Past three weeks of daily pH testing has shown steady at about 7.5

When I filled/opened the pool, TA was 190, same as fill water. Lowered it using acid/aeration to ~100.

Test this morning showed 160.

I've had to add water several times, but no more than 2" at any one time.

Fill water at filling showed 190, today's test shows 280. Problem at the water plant?

I'm guessing that I've answered my own question as to why the TA is rising, but that doesn't answer why the pH would be rock steady through this.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: pH steady TA slowly rising

but that doesn't answer why the pH would be rock steady through this
    Well, it's a good problem to have, right? (Charlie, I think you're becoming a pool snob like many of us )

My first inclination is to test the pH of your fill water......I don't think that'll be the answer but it's worth knowing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That is strange. Can't wait to see what the experts come up with. You would think with the high TA the PH would rise also.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oops, forgot to add that in the OP. Fill pH was 7.8, today 8.0++ much darker red than 8.0

Me? A pool snob? Possible, and maybe likely. Product of being a perfectionist, I guess.......
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Your not chlorinating with pucks, correct?
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

I only used pucks for the initial CYA. Pool has been using a 121 oz bottle of 8.25% about every two weeks. Holding fairly steady between 4.5 (lowest I'll let it go) and 6.5 an hour after dosing

CYA at ~35 (1/3 above 40, guestimating the log scale).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Well, that certainly is a puzzle. About the only things that drive down pH in a pool are pucks or low pH fill water.

I sure don't have an answer but a lot of folks (me included) would gladly trade their pool water for yours.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

4800 gal wouldn't even raise your level 1", now would it?

9. Back To Top    #9

This may sound a bit odd, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

for several days before my normal full test day, the pool water was giving off an odor I've always associated with public pools. Not the chloramine odor, the "something's not right" old pool water smell. Hard to describe. At most, I've had .5 CC this year, and I know what chloramines smell like.

Now that I have the TA back down to 100 with the aerate/acid routine --shooting for 80-- the smell is gone.

I could only smell it while in the water, with my nose just above the surface.

Test results this morning:

FC 4.0 (lowest I'll let it get)
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.8 before another dose of MA
    TA 100
    CH didn't test
    CYA didn't test -- ~35 last test

pH 1 hour after dose 7.0, still with the aerator going.