So many wrinkles in my liner

Jul 18, 2010
Hi all
I am having an issue with a new vinyl liner I had installed on my 15 x30 ag pool.
The new liner was installed by a "pool guy" 2 weeks ago. Once the water filled we noticed 20-25 wrinkles on the bottom of the pool.
The "pool guy" finally came out today to look at it and said 2 things. First he blamed the fact that we have foam on the bottom floor. He said that the liner is slipping and it causes wrinkles.
Then he said it was caused by the kids when they run in the pool they push the liner with their feet.

Any advice on this? I dont know how to handle it. He said he could drain the pool and try and smooth them out but they would probably just come back. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Any help would be appreciated.

No. The time to get the wrinkles out is when there's a couple of inches of water in the pool. I don't see how the liner is going to move around with the weight of the water on it.

I think he didn't do it right and is looking for excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

If he placed the liner~ getting it situated while the first couple inches were introduced & the remainder of the water came in by hose with folks playing in it ~ I personally could see validity to his statement.

If he placed the liner ~ getting it situated while the first couple inches of water were introduced & the remainder of the water came by delivery truck with a disperser and no one was in the water I feel it would be very difficult for the liner to slip on a full pool. In saying that though I am the mom of two boys in their 20's now and while growing up the whole neighborhood was with us more than they were at their own homes... I am a firm believer anything can happen. Is it likely No, but I won't rule anything out.

I don't think without knowing the whole story anyone is able to really answer this question. Even if all details come out at that point a person can only comment on the likelihood. With no info on the installer, the cove, the method of filling it's too difficult to say what actually happened. I take it this is a liner replacement because you mention it's a new liner, but made no mention of it being a new pool, that comes into play as well. I really make an effort to try daily not to be so eager to "blame" someone or "something" & realize not everyone is out to get me.

Obviously you are frustrated with end result and that is truly a shame, but I would try to keep a level head and rationalize with him for resolve so that it can be fixed to your liking. He is acting as if he is willing to work you by saying he will drain the pool and try again, he is obviously willing to try and satisfy you ~ that says a lot to me and I notice that has kind of been overlooked.

Did you sign off on the liner install when he finished and were you satisfied or did you just sign because you were excited to be done and swimming? If he did present signoff paperwork did you read it and discuss it with him prior to signing so you were clear on the info you were agreeing to?
Two weeks lapsed and wrinkles appeared in a full pool. A gallon of water is heavy (a smidge over 8 pounds) ~ there has to be a reason why it held shape intially and then two weeks pass and it's wrinkled.
Why does he feel if he drains and resituates it ~ it will happen again? Is it because of the liner chosen, the way the pool is set up or because fill water is coming in slowly allowing the sides to blow around as it fills and everything to shift around? Or is it because as it fills folks are in it cooling off and playing? Ask his specifically why it will wrinkle a second time so you know if you should go through the efforts again?

You have a contractor willing to work with you ~ if you handle this methodically eliminating factors that allowed it to wrinkle the first time (if they happened due to circumstances that can be eliminated the second time) this should turn out just fine for you. I would at least give the guy some credit for his willingness to please you and work with him through this.

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate all the feedback.
The wrinkles were there immediately. I did not realize how many because the first few days after the install it was rainy and no one was in the pool. No one went in the pool while it was filling up.
He placed the liner in, turned the hose on and attached a vacuum to one end to pull the air out and left. He told me I should check it in a few hours and if I saw any wrinkles to turn off the water and the vacuum. I saw a wrinkle so I did what he said. i called to let him know and he came out the next morning, smoothed the wrinkle and put the hose back in. We were gone for the day while it was filling so I was not home to monitor for wrinkles. I honestly didn't think I had to do so.
2 days later my husband was in the pool and said there were many wrinkles. We also noticed the seam is not the same height all the way around. In some places it is on the wall others down where it should be.
I have not paid him yet. I have nothing in writing, no contracts etc. since this was just someone we know who used to do pool installation full time but now just does it on the side.
Sorry so long.
I think I should have a different contractor come out to repair. When he came this morning he had a really poor attitude and was obviously annoyed that I was even questioning the wrinkles. I dont think I could trust him to make good on this.

With water being introduced that slowly wrinkles and shifting will be part of your reality. That might be why the guy said it is likely to happen again. I know I had 5 guys on mine plus we watched for shifting & wrinkling as well. It wasn't left unattended by installers until second tanker load if I remember correctly.

My guys manipulated as it filled sometimes using toilet plungers when they had to. They made sure the seams stayed where they should and wrinkles that appeared were smoothed. We filled a bit with the hose to get the bottom where we wanted it and used tankers once they gave the all clear. I would think using 2 hoses more attention needs paid because it takes so long to get the weight necessary to keep things from shifting. Definitely not something you can walk away from and just let happen if you want wrinkle free. Would be unrealistic to expect the installer to hang around watching it fill with hoses, but that is something you and you family could do, easily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.