Metal Staining on liner, steps. Having problems clearing up

Jul 20, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi everyone ... I've been reading all the posts about iron staining and how to fix. We've had our pool for about 7 years now and this is the first year we've had issues with it. This year, we had a small nick in our liner and, because we have salt water, it rusted before we could find it. It's since been patched, but oh what headaches trying to clear it up! Last Sunday night, I did an AA treatment (second one this year). Pool has been very cloudy since. I added about 1 litre of MetaSol by Pool Boss which is an HEDP sequestrant that same night. 24 hours later, I started adding 6% liquid bleach. I've added approx. 2 litres over the course of 5 days but no improvement and I can't seem to raise the chlorine level at all. Here are my latest readings: TC: 0, FC = 0, ph = 7.5, TA = 85, Calcium Hardness = 175, Stabilizer = 30, Salt = 3300. I have some non-chlorine product here (made by Tabex - Shock N Swim). Is it worth adding that? I know I'm supposed to bring the chlorine level back up slowly ... but how slow is slow? How much bleach can I safely add without getting the staining back? The local pool store keeps telling me to shock to get the cloudiness out of the water, but it hasn't been 2 weeks yet. I've also added polyquat to keep the algae at bay and I haven't had any this year. Should I try to get the chlorine up before getting the iron staining under control or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance ... this is a great forum with lots of great reading!

Leanne

Re: Metal Staining on liner, steps. Having problems clearin

yes, I've been following the procedure as best as I can. The pool turned cloudy about 2 days after the first time we added the AA and has been that way ever since (2-3 weeks). I just added more metal sequestrant since we had to top up the water last night. I'll add more algaecide in the meantime. We're having a party in 10 days and it won't go over well if the pool still looks like this! Thanks!

Is/was the only place you had staining on the steps?

Yep, lower the pH back to about 7.2 and try to keep it close.

How much AA did you add? You should continue to add about 2ppm FC until it starts to hold. FC has to cancel out the AA. Add FC and test/add again as often as every hour until it starts to hold.

Have you tried adding some DE to the sand filter? Directions in Pool School.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks ... I thought I had some muriatic acid around but can't find it. Will go to the store tomorrow to pick some up. I haven't tried adding any de to the filter. And I can't get my hands in a good test kit locally so I've been running to the pool store constantly to have my water tested!

lgayton said:
No... it was on the liner as well. We tend to notice it on the steps first just because they're white and you can see it better. Last Sunday it was so bad the entire pool was yellowish brown.
oh, okay. Had it only been the steps, I would have recommended another method for removing the stains.

What about using some of the non-chlorine shock & swim product I have to try to clear it up? Its main ingredient is "Peroxymonosulfuric acid". Or will that have the same effect as adding shock?

Thanks for your help!

I suggest you only use bleach/liquid chlorine to get the FC to about 2pm and maintain at 2ppm for now.

Later, you can use the SWG to maintain once things are under control. You can also increase (later) CYA for the SWG recommended level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hi - my latest readings: FC & TC = 0, ph now down to 6.9, Hardness = 130, TA = 20, CYA = 25. It's been suggested that I shock tonight after adding another dose of metal sequestrant. My chlorine levels have been this low for over 2 weeks now. What do you suggest? THanks in advance!

lgayton said:
Hi - my latest readings: FC & TC = 0, ph now down to 6.9, Hardness = 130, TA = 20, CYA = 25. It's been suggested that I shock tonight after adding another dose of metal sequestrant. My chlorine levels have been this low for over 2 weeks now. What do you suggest? THanks in advance!
You should add some baking soda and get the TA to about 70. Then retest the pH. Make sure the pH is at least 7ish (low 7's) and not in the 6's. Use borax if you need to raise pH.

What does the water look like? I still suggest that you continue to add bleach/liquid chlorine to get the FC to about 2 or 3.

I did not see a recommendation to shock, but maybe I missed it. Anyway, I don't recommend it! You want to s l o w l y raise the FC. Even if you have to dose/test it every hour or so, dose it slowly but continuously until it starts to hold.

If you shock now, you might redeposit all the stains. We want to try to a void SLAMing the pool.

lgayton said:
So ... when you say to dose it every hour, how much liquid bleach would you add each time?
Use the PoolCalculator to determine the dose. Link in my sig.

If you have problems with figuring the dose, post back.

Okay, if you add about ONE QUART of 8.25% bleach, it will raise your FC about 3ppm.
That looks like a good place to start.

What % bleach are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.