I built a solar heater this year out of 200 feet of copper black copper pipe and a utility pump, and my pool has been remaining at a toasty 88 degrees over the last few weeks. However, I am socked at the rate of water loss. I know warm water evaporates faster, but this fast?
Is it normal for 1-2 inches of water to evaporate over a 48 hour period? This is with direct sunlight from about 11:30am through 4:30pm or 5 hours a day. It has also been in the 90's the last few days.
I am not using a solar cover because mine is junk and nasty - a lot of the "bubbles" are filling with algae, so I think its just eating my chlorine anyways, plus ive been swimming every day... So I know the cover helps prevent evaporation, but I don't want to use it.
I have been worried that my old vinyl liner is just starting to develop slow leaks everywhere - or possibly the plumbing underground somewhere. For example, the seals around my stairs seem to be extremely prone to algae build up, I was wondering if water could be leaking right through. Would there be any evidence of underground leaking? Additionally, air is getting into the plumbing somewhere, evidenced by small air bubbles continuously coming through the jets. Is that a sign that there is a hole in the pipes somewhere?
Thanks everyone, I don't want to spend too much on water this year!!