Help me out

cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
OK, so here are my numbers today. We got a good rain 2 nights ago, adding about 3" water to the pool.

FC: 2.4
PH: 7.5
CC: .5
CH: 120
TA: 130
CYA: 90-100

I've been using 3" tablets. FC never gets above 1. Using Borax for pH. Last night around 730, I added a gallon of bleach, bringing FC to 4.8. This morning at 630, FC was down to 2.4. I've checked CYA about 6 times over the last month, and it's always been between 35 and 50. What would cause it to jump so much?

I was going to start slamming it, but was waiting for the Taylor fas-dpd reagent to get here so I could get a good reading. It arrived yesterday. Where do I start?

What does your water look like ?The overnight FC loss points to something using it. I would start reading the SLAM process.

With that high of CYA your going to use a boat load of chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

cnshough said:
OK, so here are my numbers today. We got a good rain 2 nights ago, adding about 3" water to the pool.

FC: 2.4
PH: 7.5
CC: .5
CH: 120
TA: 130
CYA: 90-100

I've been using 3" tablets. FC never gets above 1. Using Borax for pH. Last night around 730, I added a gallon of bleach

Not gonna spend $50 or so on a pump, so can I just drain and replace a few inches at a time by backwashing and refilling? Pool is 20000 gallons, vinyl liner. If I can do this, how many times would I have to do it to replace the recommended pool calculator amount of 60% water replacement?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just bought the house, don't know much about drains and filters. I have a Hayward pro series sand filter. The top valve says backwash, rinse, waste, filter, and maybe 1 or 2 other settings. As for main drain, I would assume that's the drain at the bottom of the deep end, or are you talking about something else?

Main drain is normally at the bottom of the deep end, yes. Do you know about any other valves in your plumbing? If there are any, are they marked as to where they go?

If you KNOW you can isolate the main drain from the skimmer(s), then yes, you can use the pool pump to drain your pool. Placing the filter valve on waste will send the pump output directly to your waste outlet and to wherever that pipe leads.

If your valves are not marked, you will have to experiment with their settings, and mark them yourself. For help with this, you can post a few pics for others here to aid you in the quest.

The pipes on the backside I know control the jets in the steps, and the jet in the deep end. Not sure what the pipes coming from the pump do, or the pipe on the backside by itself. Maybe that goes to the sewer??? No idea!

Attachments

• IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 66
If you post a photo of the valve, we can help you determine the correct positions. Take a well lite shot showing all of the labels and others showing all of the pipes and equipment. Some one here will help determine your setup.

Ok, then 1 of those valves controls that skimmer, and the other should be for the main drain. With the pump on, close one of the valves then check to see of the skimmer still has suction. Label the valves accordingly, so you don't forget, and anyone else can see what they are for.

Looks like you will be able to drain through your pump.

Could you add your pool and test kit info to your signature line? You can do this through your User Control Panel, linked in the upper left of the page.

I read that draining a liner pool is tricky because the sides could cave in if you drain too much. So how should I go about draining and refilling? And about how long will draining through the pump take?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.