Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me out

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me out

OK, so here are my numbers today. We got a good rain 2 nights ago, adding about 3" water to the pool.

FC: 2.4
    PH: 7.5
    CC: .5
    CH: 120
    TA: 130
    CYA: 90-100

I've been using 3" tablets. FC never gets above 1. Using Borax for pH. Last night around 730, I added a gallon of bleach, bringing FC to 4.8. This morning at 630, FC was down to 2.4. I've checked CYA about 6 times over the last month, and it's always been between 35 and 50. What would cause it to jump so much?

I was going to start slamming it, but was waiting for the Taylor fas-dpd reagent to get here so I could get a good reading. It arrived yesterday. Where do I start?
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me out

What does your water look like ?The overnight FC loss points to something using it. I would start reading the SLAM process.

With that high of CYA your going to use a boat load of chlorine.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

water is clear
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

The tests you listed are they the most recent and did you add bleach when the sun was down. I was looking at the CYA of 90-100. The tabs raised your CYA.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cnshough
    OK, so here are my numbers today. We got a good rain 2 nights ago, adding about 3" water to the pool.

FC: 2.4
    PH: 7.5
    CC: .5
    CH: 120
    TA: 130
    CYA: 90-100

I've been using 3" tablets. FC never gets above 1. Using Borax for pH. Last night around 730, I added a gallon of bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Put your pool info in your sig. It will help everybody help you.

Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

First, lower the CYA via water replacement. Then start the SLAM process.

Stop using tabs.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

If you added chlorine in the evening when the sun wasn't on the pool, then something consumed the FC over night.

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Not gonna spend $50 or so on a pump, so can I just drain and replace a few inches at a time by backwashing and refilling? Pool is 20000 gallons, vinyl liner. If I can do this, how many times would I have to do it to replace the recommended pool calculator amount of 60% water replacement?

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you have a sand or DE filter? Possibly a main drain? Use the pool pump to drain what you need to, with the skimmer valve closed drawing only from the main drain.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just bought the house, don't know much about drains and filters. I have a Hayward pro series sand filter. The top valve says backwash, rinse, waste, filter, and maybe 1 or 2 other settings. As for main drain, I would assume that's the drain at the bottom of the deep end, or are you talking about something else?

12. Back To Top    #12

Main drain is normally at the bottom of the deep end, yes. Do you know about any other valves in your plumbing? If there are any, are they marked as to where they go?

If you KNOW you can isolate the main drain from the skimmer(s), then yes, you can use the pool pump to drain your pool. Placing the filter valve on waste will send the pump output directly to your waste outlet and to wherever that pipe leads.

If your valves are not marked, you will have to experiment with their settings, and mark them yourself. For help with this, you can post a few pics for others here to aid you in the quest.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

The pipes on the backside I know control the jets in the steps, and the jet in the deep end. Not sure what the pipes coming from the pump do, or the pipe on the backside by itself. Maybe that goes to the sewer??? No idea!
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

If you post a photo of the valve, we can help you determine the correct positions. Take a well lite shot showing all of the labels and others showing all of the pipes and equipment. Some one here will help determine your setup.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Valve:
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

Those two red handled valves on the pump intake are your skimmer and main drain valves. How many skimmers are in the pool?

17. Back To Top    #17

Just 1 skimmer

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, then 1 of those valves controls that skimmer, and the other should be for the main drain. With the pump on, close one of the valves then check to see of the skimmer still has suction. Label the valves accordingly, so you don't forget, and anyone else can see what they are for.

Looks like you will be able to drain through your pump.

Could you add your pool and test kit info to your signature line? You can do this through your User Control Panel, linked in the upper left of the page.

19. Back To Top    #19

There ya go

20. Back To Top    #20

I read that draining a liner pool is tricky because the sides could cave in if you drain too much. So how should I go about draining and refilling? And about how long will draining through the pump take?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast