Introduction and frustration in Michigan.

Jul 19, 2013
Detroit MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well,hi from Edie in Michigan. I bought a Summer Escapes 16 by 42 quick set type pool a few years back and finally got it up this summer about a week before July hit. It was great for the first week, then I got sick. While recovering I tossed some bleach in the second week, and this week, well you can just about guess what its like. Its a mosquito larvae fest. I don't have a skimmer and I am pretty sure the pump for this pool is less than adequate. I put 96 oz of Clorox and a box of baking soda in today, but I am guessing I should start over again. I don't have a pool test kit yet and I just dragged my vacuum (the type that adds water to the pool) out of mothballs. I was really surprised to learn the BBB, and it saddens me a bit. I had a nice above ground pool about 13 years ago but I had to let it go because of the cost of the chemicals ( I thought). Anyway, thanks for a great site with lots of information!

Welcome to TFP.

You've come to the right place. Go right to pool school and start reading. Read the SLAM process because that's what's you going to have to do. You'll need one of the recommended test kits to do the process and to maintain your pool. It's a must have.

Keep reading pool school until you get the test kit. They have pretty quick shipping. Any other questions ask away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

If I get a test kit is there any way to make this infested water safe to swim in, or would I have to drain and refill. I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. The only cleaning tools I have is a leaf skimmer to skim the top and one of those vacuums that operate by adding water to the pool. Thanks.

Yes, an appropriate test kit will give you the tools to effectively clear your pool. However, depending what you have been putting in it, it could be high in cya and still need a partial drain/refill. Have you put stabilizer/conditioner or used chlorine types such as trichlor (usually "chlorine" in puck form), or dichlor (usually in granular form). These all add cya to your water, which some is good, but too much and the only way to get rid of it is a partial drain/refill.

Keep in mind, it is likely that the cost for the water to do a full drain/refill for a pool your size (~4500 gallons) is not very much.

As linen pointed out, the cost of changing the water is frequently cheaper than the cost of the bleach and time required to go from green to clean.

You can do the drain and fill with a garden hose.

Re: Introduction and frustration in Michigan. UPDATE.

Well, I've been out of town. I emptied 1/3 of the water, poured 2 65oz bottles of ultra bleach in, half a box (76oz) of borax, 2 boxes of baking soda. I waited 2 days, emptied 1/3 of the water, poured in 1 gallon of ultra bleach. Waited another day poured in 1/2 gallon of ultra bleach. Used my neighbors oto test kit, it said 10 (bright yellow). I cant afford a test kit but want to swim since we only have about two weeks left of summer in Michigan. Think its safe?

Bright yellow is 5 ppm Total Chlorine (the numbers in the 10 column are Bromine which you can ignore).

As to what you did in terms of partial draining and the chemical additions, I am not sure I understand why you did it. My suggestion above was a full drain/refill and then follow this guide: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

Wovenwoman said:
Think its safe?
Hard to say, but if the FC is at 5 ppm and the water is clear, it probably is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't totally empty it because I couldn't get the part that connects to the hose to undo, so I just leaned on the edge and my neighbors weren't too crazy about it because part of it flooded into their yard. It was filled with larvae the first time, I pretty much killed everything in it, and then I did a partial second drain, a vacuum, more bleach. We have pretty small lots and the little pool takes up a big portion of it. The water is now clear, I vacuumed it, its bright yellow (test) and I guess I am going for a swim. Oh ...yes, keep singing my name!!!! ;)

This is the valve I have on my DE filter. Visible lover left in this image. This is the Hayward valve I bought at my AG pool store. My filter assembly sits on two cinder blocks with an old door mat as an vibration insulator. I use a pump hose I bought at Harbor Freight as a back wash hose the few times I have needed it. The hose will allow me to coil the hose 180 degrees to keep it in my yard. I can run hose to my sewer clean-out if I use enough hose.

IMG_5293.JPG

My filter is only about 4 feet from the (falling down) fence on this side of the yard.

IMG_5289.JPG