Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Krystal Clear Ozone & Saltwater System Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Krystal Clear Ozone & Saltwater System Questions

Not sure if it's working. How hard would it be to convert it to chlorine? Would the whole pool need to be drained?
    22' X 52" (10,472 gal) ultra frame pool, 1HP/2650 gph Intex sand filter, Krystal Clear Ozone & SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Krystal Clear Ozone & Saltwater System Questions

A saltwater system is a chlorine system. The unit turns salt into chlorine. To switch you just start adding chlorine manually instead.

It is easy to mistakenly think your unit is not working when it is fine but your chemical levels are not right. If you post a set of water test results we can probably figure out what is going on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

True, salt is being converted to chlorine by your salt generator. This leaves you with a chlorinated pool. You can subsidize or boost your chlorine level with bleach at any point. Post your test results for solutions to your problem.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

4. Back To Top    #4

This is the reading from this evening.
    FC 3/6
    pH 7.8
    TA 240
    CYA 30-50
    TH 200
    Salt 3400 ppm
    We did add 2 qts muriatic acid earlier today.
    The pool was set up 7/15.
    22' X 52" (10,472 gal) ultra frame pool, 1HP/2650 gph Intex sand filter, Krystal Clear Ozone & SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

I am assuming you FC 3/6 is actually TC (total chlorine) as tested by an OTO chlorine test block that is usually attached to the ph test block? If it is, then your TC is 3 ppm and unless you have been using other sources of chlorine, your swg is producing it.

How did you go about getting the cya into your pool?

How does you water look?

Take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator In particular notice the recommended cya level of 70-80, this is important.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you are saying you are cloudy or battleing algae then your chlorine needs to be 12 ppm with a CYA of 30 or 20 ppm of CYA of 50 ( big difference between 30-50). This is why it is important for you to have one of the recommended test kits. Once you SLAM your pool with one of these levels you can begin to treat your pool correctly.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

7. Back To Top    #7

Our water is crystal clear. We put 3 lbs of CYA in a stocking and hung from the ladder (because we haven't received our skimmer basket) on 7/15 and 1 lb on 7/19. This morning my strip still reads 30-50 but it seems to be a little lower because the color is lighter. So how much more should I add to get to the 70-80 level?

Theses are my strip readings from this morning.

FC 5/10 (SWG is running on Boost)
    pH 7.8 (Added 2 qts of muriatic acid yesterday at noon. Should I add more?)
    TA 120-180
    CYA 30-50
    CH 100

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Using test strips is stabbing in the dark. Assuming they are correct, you can go to poolcalculator.com and calc the amount of CYA you need.....assuming your test strips are correct.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School