Sport type Pool or Traditional Deep End?????

Carnut12

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2013
Forsyth, GA
Recently I have been looking at a bunch of pools to get ideas of what I want, I have noticed a bunch do not have deep ends. They are not all Sport Pools, just shaped pools with no deep ends. The depths vary from 3-5 feet in most. I have noticed most people hang out in the shallow area and it does get crowded, especially in a smaller pool when I go to pool parties. Does anyone regret getting a Deep End?? I will not get a diving board or slide, but I do like to dive in pools when I go in, obviously with-out a deep end I could not do this safely. On the other hand I think about every time I or others dive in all they do is swim to the shallow end and hang out there. It would also be cool to play volleyball and basketball in a Sport Type pool, but I wonder if I would really do that much.

My kids are twin 7 year old boys and a 3 year old girl. Part of me thinks they would love the all shallow until they are 10 or so, then they would want a deep end, but I am not sure. I did a search and the thoughts are mixed for sure.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!!!

Just went through the same thought process. Ended up going with a 6.5 deep end. Pool is 20x40 so the slope from 3.5 is not too much and it will give us quite a bit of "shallow" end while still allowing most to jump/cannonball into the "deep end".

I grew up with diving pools, bit really how often do you dive in? After the novelty wears off, it's pretty much dive in and hang out. Anyway that's what we ended up with.....I'll let you know in 20 years if it was the right choice :D

My father has a deep end and I spend the entire time there when I swim. Even if I am hanging out I will come over to the side, lay my arm on the side and stand on the angled concrete. Usually my brothers and I gather around the return and wave our hands in front of it while we chat.

If you want a gathering spot I think a swim up bar is the obvious answer. I think that will be the destination of choice for all ages! :cheers:

Omnipotent said:
Just went through the same thought process. Ended up going with a 6.5 deep end. Pool is 20x40 so the slope from 3.5 is not too much and it will give us quite a bit of "shallow" end while still allowing most to jump/cannonball into the "deep end".

I grew up with diving pools, bit really how often do you dive in? After the novelty wears off, it's pretty much dive in and hang out. Anyway that's what we ended up with.....I'll let you know in 20 years if it was the right choice :D

I am looking around the same size, I never thought of just a gradual slope the whole way, interesting.

I did a sport pool. The main part of the pool is 16 x 34. Depth is 3.5 at one end, 4 ft other and 5 ft center. We also have a 7x7 spa and an 18 inch deep 7x7 sun shelf and bench that extends the length of the pool.

If i had it to do again, about the only change I would make is eliminate the 3.5 foot end and make it 4,5,4. There are very few residential size pools that are really safe for diving, and no one seems to miss diving. 4 or 5 feet of water is plenty for swimming laps and the whole pool gets used. The sun shelf is much used. It fits two loungers or chairs. Small children love to play in the 18 inch water. Another consideration is more depth means more water, more maintenance, more chemicals, more expense.

I miss diving enormously :(
I used to love to dive in and then swim underwater the length of the pool.
My pool is too shallow for safe diving and I regret settling for this as a trade off when we had our pool put in. Otherwise the pool is perfect for our needs.

I like my deep end. Love to dive in and get an instant cool down on a hot day. Then I get out, sip a little cocktail and do it all over again! I do hang out in the shallows too because my beverage and dogs are parked on the deck by the ladder. As a kid I took alot of swim & dive classes so I would be quite comfortable diving into a 4 foot depth but I wouldn't advise it for people who are just used to cannonballing!

The deep end is also fun for driving your opponet into when playiing badmitton!

We went with a play pool. 3.5 to 5.5 to 4.5 feet. Our pool is 14x28 so it is a small pool. When we have guests, every part of our pool is used. I put in two corner benches and wish I would have done more. We like volleyball and hanging out so we don't miss diving. If I could have added another 15 feet in length to my pool I might have added a deep end. 14x24 gets filled up quick with just eight people in the water. If your pool is going to be small be aware of how much play area you will have for just hanging out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I could have done an L snapped pool, I would have done a deep end. That said I like ours they way it is. 3.5 is shallow for hanging out in, but its perfect for playing volleyball in. 4' all the way would be ideal for sports. We love our large first step, that's where everyone hangs out.

We have a sport pool - 3.5, 6, 3.5 - 34' long. Can't say that we've missed having a deep end, but the whole family, (kids are adults, no grandkids yet), uses every bit of it. Volleyball and badminton are always fun. We don't have a sun step but we do have a nice long deep ledge to sit on centered on the long side of the pool.

If I go Gunite I will spring for the Pebble. If I do liner I think I will do a deep end. I am thinking about doing Gunite and the ones I have looked at look so good with no deep end. The company I am dealing with make they look like a natural water hole in your back-yard.

Love our deep end. We just finished our pool in May and we didn't have our diving board until this week. So we had lots of time to see how the pool gets used by us and with guests without the board. I think because of the amount of bechwork we have in the deep end it causes it to get a lot of use. We have a 4' - 18" deep bench connected to a 3' - 36" deep bench in each corner of our rectangular pool. The deeper bench was my idea so that I can stand there to play catch from the deep end. We always planned a diving pool and are happy. Our goes from 3 - 8 1/2' though the 3' lasts for about none of the length and it slopes gently to 5' halfway down the pool before dropping off quickly. The shallow end is shallower than we (our immediate family) need it but I'm pleased with it for guests' kids, etc.

I will not be having a diving board, although I had one as a kid, todays world is much different. Not worth someone getting hurt, I have read to many stories. No chance of a Board or a Slide for me.

But that does not mean I will not do a Deep End. Benches make sense, maybe I will look into that.

We have a gunite pool that we just removed the diving board from and shallowed out a few feet.

You could always go with the deep end and do the same if you don't dive much after all is said and done. It's easier to remodel and make it shallower than the other way around.

For us, the main reason we opted to remove the diving board and make it more of a play pool was my 15 year old niece was paralyzed in a diving accident a few years ago (not here).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.