Permit question

Jul 19, 2013
So I'm new to this. I have a guy scheduled to come out and install a 24' pool next week. The guy installing is not getting a permit and said 99% of the pools he installs permits are not pulled because they are a hassle to deal with. But it seems to me that the city might notice if I all the sudden used about 15 thousand gallons of water? Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not too worried about the permit, since we're going to make sure everything is up to code, but i do need to be able to put water in the pool!

Depends on where you live. I did the permit process for mine. In my town, any pool above 24" depth by design requires a permit. The trickiest part of the process was the workma's comp requirement. For the site plan I did a rough draft showing that the pool complied with the offset requirements (10' away from property line and 20' away from foundation). My first mistake was listing the landscaper who was doing the leveling as the contractor. Apparently you don't need a permit to move some dirt, and the inspector gave him a hard time, even though he has a workmans comp number. I then submitted a workmans comp exemption form listing myself as the person putting up the pool and claiming exemption from workmans comp rules. I had the permit within a couple days after that. They do investigate workmans comp exemptions in New York though, so I had to do the phone grilling a couple of days ago. Not a big deal unless you hired someone to help you put the pool up. (not including digging)

heavyweight_4u said:
My Permit was a breeze. Simple drawing of the property with measurements

Yes, getting the permit wasn't too bad except for the Workman's Comp bit, but you need to be inspected post installation (or even during) to verify that you are complying with codes. Here in NY, that requires a removable or lockable ladder, walls at least 48" above grade, or you need a fence, a pool alarm which has some crazy requirements, (I still haven't installed the alarm because even I am not sure how to safely remove it from the pool without alerting the neighbors, let alone explaining the procedure to my mother-in-law and my wife who are the most frequent users of the pool). NY has very strict rules for pool alarms, don't expect to pay less than $100 for the alarm. My permit cost $100, lockable stairs, $250...Lockable deck with railing $1200, alarm, $100.... It's no wonder many people skip the permit process.

It took us 6 weeks before the town approved our pool permit last summer. I don't know why it took so long but it was very annoying as of course we wanted the pool ASAP !!! Then there were 2 different inspectors - one for the electrical and a different one for the rest of the work. The electrical inspector came back twice before he was totally satisfied with everything.

I had no problems with my permits(Thank God) but I had four different inspectors...electrical...the pool itself then the pool fence & last but no least the deck floor.I only had one issue but solved it quickly...I had my telephone wire within 10 feet from the pool I moved it problem solved.Done Deal!!!

I guess that depends on what you're paying for and your expectations. Are you paying "side job" money, or are you paying going rate for a professional installation? Are you saving enough to accept the risks of a sub standard job, an uninsured contractor or inconveniences for yourself later?

Permits shouldn't be an issue for a professional to deal with. They will typically help to make sure you get a job done that is up to par and help protect you from issues that could arise later.

we got the permits because a.) the installer wouldn't install the pool without one which was fine with me and b.) I wanted to ensure we'd be covered from an insurance perspective if anything were to happen. The building inspector was great, tested our locking ladder three times and signed off. The electrical inspector was a jerk. Had us run a second line to where the pool outlet was for a convenience outlet and he was ****** I buried conduit but left both ends and 3 spots along the trench open for him to measure the depth. I was more concerned if I left a 100' long trench open for the week it took him to show up that a neighbor kid or one of our dogs would come along and step in it and twist/ break an ankle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ya, we were required to due to city requirements....
I had to argue with the girls in the permit office about a pre install electrical and plumbing inspection... She couldn't understand that an AGP was all self contained.
She finally got an actual inspector on the phone and he let me know what all I needed. Which was only 60$ compared to 560$ which is what the young woman had quoted me.

I deal with permits very frequently as a contractor. As a home owner you should require the builder to obtain a permit for several reasons 1 to assure yourself you are getting an up to code structure(pool) the inspectors are a part of making sure your structure is safe and built correctly. 2 so you dont run into issues down the road because the builder did something incorrectly or is to close to any setbacks or existing structures. 3 simple peace of mind

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.