Could this be done in a pinch?
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add ammonia to lower FC?

That isn't a good idea. If you really must lower the FC level use hydrogen peroxide, ascorbic acid, or sodium thiosulfate. In an outdoor pool, lowering chlorine levels is almost never needed, as sunlight will take care of that for you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

OK. Didn't realize that Wal-Mart changed their bleach concentration to 8.25. Got the chlorine a little higher than I like, and we are partying tomorrow. I am still below shock level, but not by a whole lot. CYA is 70 and the FC reading I got is 15.5. But since the CYA test is so finicky, I like to stay well below shock level for the CYA level I "get" with my testing.
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Your CYA is a little high. Do you have SWG ? I didn't see it in your pool info.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't worry about it. With CYA at 70 you are well below shock level (28), and it will come down at least a little more before anyone is in the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I doubt anyone will notice anything but how clear the water is.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Isn't mixing ammonia and chlorine always a no-no, or is it somewhat not applicable when done in a pool?
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

8. Back To Top    #8

If one mixes concentrated chlorine with concentrated ammonia, then that can produce noxious volatile and irritating gaseous products such as nitrogen trichloride. If you try cleaning up some urine by using bleach, you will get some of this effect. When mixing separately in a pool, this does not occur and instead one initially produces monochloramine that more slowly gets oxidized mostly to nitrogen gas (and some nitrate). As Jason noted, this is not a good way to lower the chlorine level in a pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't understand -- other than $$ for the pool store -- why that seems to be a recurring theme from the PS.......FC too high? here, buy this. Oops, you used too much, so here, buy this..... ad infinitum.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I haven't been to a pool store in 3 years.
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

What is this pool store you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by aasbury
    OK. Didn't realize that Wal-Mart changed their bleach concentration to 8.25. Got the chlorine a little higher than I like, and we are partying tomorrow. I am still below shock level, but not by a whole lot. CYA is 70 and the FC reading I got is 15.5. But since the CYA test is so finicky, I like to stay well below shock level for the CYA level I "get" with my testing.
    If you have a high bather load coming, the FC will come down plenty fast. Besides, you want it on the high side before you start anyways. I'd leave it exactly where it is so you have a clear pool when the party is over.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

+1 what smykowski said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I have been to a pool store lately... I bought a box of 12.5% , a valve and a pool specific tool. No testing, no buckets of miracle
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    I don't understand -- other than $$ for the pool store -- why that seems to be a recurring theme from the PS.......FC too high? here, buy this. Oops, you used too much, so here, buy this..... ad infinitum.
    Most pool stores don't understand the chlorine/CYA relationship so they think that any FC outside the 1-3 ppm range is bad and OMG an FC higher than 5...you must lower it and fast and higher than 10...you'll skin will melt away! They just aren't well trained and the manufacturers of chlorinated cyanurates (Trichlor and Dichlor) don't want the truth told because otherwise fewer people will use their products. Then the recommend products based on incorrect rules of thumb or on automated programs that don't understand the interactions between the chemicals. It's either ignorance or intentional, but either way it's bad for the consumer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"