use a projector for watching movies in the pool?

Jun 4, 2013
B.A. Okla.
I wish I'd have thought of this earlier and borrowed one from work. We have a movie the kids and their friend really want to see tonight but it's going to be inside like normal.

Any of you all do this? We went on a disney cruise earlier this year and the kids watched movies on a jumbotron in the pool and really liked that.

Next weekend I guess.

Wife and I are figuring hang a white flannel sheet from something, stake it to the ground, protect laptop and projector from splashing somehow and use a little set of powered speakers elevated above pool level. (my patio speakers are just regular pc speakers but they've been out in the rain plenty and have proven themselves pretty weatherproof for going on 10 years now!)

We tried it but with an ag, found you need to get the screen pretty high to not have to be at the rail to watch. If you can get it watchable from the middle, you'll love it. It gets dark so late tho that we need to heat the water for the kids to want to be in that long at night.

We use a Camp Chef 120 inch backyard screen with our projector and a Samsung brand HW E550 wireless 2.1 soundbar with subwoofer (computer plugs into sub behind the audience and left and right wireless (well they are wired together side to side) sound bars go on each side of the screen. We tried cheap wireless computer speakers the first year and they just were not loud enough. Next year we will may move to a bigger screen, 120 inch is a lot smaller than you would think next to a pool, and at least with our projector must be on max zoom and closer than I would like projecting across the pool side to side. (total projection distance about 27-29 feet).

I have big plans for movie nights outside once our pool is complete. I've spec'd out the projector and just need to calculate the max screen size I can have where the projector will be located. The projector, blu-ray player, receiver, 3 speakers, and a sub will all be housed on a rolling cart I am building that can be covered and rolled under the patio when it in use. We've watched movies out back before on an unused 46" flat panel Sony and really enjoyed it. Time to step it up a notch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.