Innovative decking and landscaping for ABP

Jun 22, 2013
Well, thought I'd start a new thread to go along with our new build.

We live out in the country and have 1/2 acre of wooded land in the Texas Hill country. We had an AGP at our previous house and were pretty proud of what we did with that:
311x2mt.jpg

But with our new property, and the new Sharkline radius pool we are doing I wanted to do something really radical with the landscaping and decking for it. After being inspired by the DIY show Decked Out and what they do with decks, I want to do some circular decking to compliment our round pool. With composite decking and innovative lighting and landscaping. I want something really different that's never been seen before. The main thrust of the design is to make the pool look as close to an inground as possible.

We have some special issue with the grade of our land being on the downhil slope from the house down to the edge of the woods. I want the backside of the pool to be free of decking so it will resemble an infinity edge and I have some ideas about how to disguise that. I have done hours of research on how to make lightweight faux rocks to decorate with. I have purchased a sheer descent water fall fixture to mount on my equipment box which will house the equipment and serve as a platform for the water feature which will consist of faux rocking and indentations for planting and a propane fire feature at the top of the waterfall. The deck will be in 3 levels with the bottom level housing a bar with stools, the bar at pool height so you can converse with those in it. The middle level for pool entry, and the top level, which we have already completed connects the covered terrace with the pool entry deck. Here it is:
2vjub7m.jpg

All this is in my head and drawn out on graph paper. It is really far reaching but doable.

Have any of you guys done something earth shattering for your builds...I'd like to see it!

I'd like to know how you did it and possibly see your photos. Thanks

Installers came at 10:30 and left at 1:30!~

Phase II is to start tomorrow- hard plumbing, installation of salt cell and water fall with equipment housing and then we can begin the PITA!, phase III, deck. But in the meantime, we can swim tomorrow afternoon, will take a pic of our pitcher of Margaritas and us ASAP.

Here are the pics so far...the area to the right of the pool in the last one is where the decking will be (circular projecting out toward the trees.) The water is going in from a whole house filter. We wanted the purest water possible going in as we are on a well. Our water is very good, doesn't have much in it but sulfur smell occasionally, and of course it's very hard, but no iron, salt or rust, but better safe than sorry.

2l811u.jpg

f1xv0j.jpg

2lvn7mf.jpg

14sfe6p.jpg

Construction of deck coming along...we can now get into our pool! Yea!

Building in 100 degrees with 60% humidity is no picnic. And we wait till the weekend to build so it will take a while...hope to have another big section to the right of the "bridge" to the pool done next weekend and then, I plan to start on my faux rocks and boulders. But so far so good. Chemistry is perfect so far and water is yummy good. The best payoff is standing in the pool looking out at the forest with the wind in the trees...still so happy we moved out of the city.

We need a privacy screen of some kind to shield us from our only neighbor on our left. They have a clear shot at the pool....somewhat hampers our fun if you get my drift! But will have to design it first. Any thoughts?

I just have to say that I think the designers of plastic stairs/steps should get a clue and start making "attractive" ones instead of ichy ugly ones! :hammer: Why white???????? They could easily add a few drops of coloring and make them a nice tan or beige at least, almost all AGPs have that color coping. Don't know of a paint (even plastic spray paint) that could survive a salt pool or I would already have camouflaged those stair rails!!!!!!!!

O.K. after just under 1 month from installation, the main deck is finished and we opted to go with just plain linear forms instead of circular...just too time consuming and waste of materials. We used reed fencing as a temporary privacy screen but plan on constructing a Hog Wire fence on the cedar posts and grow honeysuckle on it. So until next spring when we can get them in and planted, the reeds will have to suffice. A lower deck between the equipment shed and the top deck will hold the bench you see here, it will move down there to become our little bar area so people can sit and have a drink and talk to people in the pool by the waterfall. So here is the top deck:
fopvsi.jpg

Still working on the waterfall, but have the first base rock in (Hypertufa-light cement) and busy making the rocks to stack on top of the waterfall unit which is functioning at least. This will take a week or so and I will post another pic when completed.
2wdakb7.jpg

4i9t3.jpg

The equipment shed has galvalume corrugated metal siding and composite trim on it. When finished all you will see is the rock waterfall with little succulents planted on it. I am making the rocks with little nesting places for them.

So coming along and very pleased with all our pool equipment. No problem at all with our Hayward salt cell system. It just confirms our belief that salt cell is the way to go. Never have to add anything but Muriatic acid because of our alkaline water here in Central Texas. Truly a carefree pool.

Final video of the project. Still phase 2 to be done which is the lower bar deck. But the waterfall looks great...bet you don't see that too often on an ABP! Proud of it. But doesn't seem to interest anybody else on these boards??? O well. Thanks for the chemical advice.
View My Video

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a link to a YouTube presentation that I followed to make these. This guy is terrific. He can make anything with foam and cement! You can also fashion rocks from the Great Stuff in a can. You just squirt the foam into sand and mound it up like a rock and then when it begins to harden you can roll it around in the sand, then you paint it. But anyway, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqUc5QSUBAQ There are 6 segments.

I will post another pic when we get the bar deck completed for the final installment of this post.

And thanks all for commenting. We are very proud of the look and feel we have successfully camo'd the AGP to look like an inground. Of course I still have to finish the bar deck and some landscaping with palms around the deck and pool to really get it disguised. But some of that will have to wait until next spring. It is not heated so we will be closing it around the middle of September...just too cool for me to swim even though we don't get a freeze here until December usually. Here's the Hog wire trellis we will grow the honeysuckle on to replace the reed fencing:
2nr1nid.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.