Decking suggestions

gmgm55

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2012
N. Houston
We are making the final decisions on our new build. The one on the table now is decking. We have a 600sq ft covered patio that has plain concrete and the pool will have an additional 400sq ft. I like the look of travertine but unfortunately I can't afford to do the entire thing with travertine. I'm considering kool deck and would like some input. Does it hold up well? PB is quoting me half price for kool deck vs travertine.

I also thought about doing the existing 600sq ft in slate but have read bad review pertaining to the way it flakes.

I am open to any suggestions.

If you are close to the Woodlands you should go over to Cody Pools. They have a gate on the left side of the building that is open all the time.

They have different types of deck, coping, pebbletec, fountains, stones, setup around a decent sized pool. Go over during the middle of a hot sunny day and take your shoes off and walk around on it. Both dry and wet to see what works best for you. They have kool deck too I believe.

Sales guy may come out. No pressure and will answer your questions. Cool place. Our stone people recommended we go there.

Also, not sure where your builder is getting his travertine but we got a good price from the nice people at QDIstone.

Almost forgot. We are doing the concrete base with travertine tile instead of thick travertine. Much less expensive and the PB and QDI said its just as good.

We did the thick travertine over a sand base for ease of access to plumbing in the future. It only cost $1 more per square foot than Kool deck. Travertine is cool underfoot and looks great. We had a top notch installer and it shows. Initially we did just the pool deck but 9 months later had it installed on our covered patio's concrete floor and tied it into the pool deck for a seamless look. Couldn't be happier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.