Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Decking suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Decking suggestions

We are making the final decisions on our new build. The one on the table now is decking. We have a 600sq ft covered patio that has plain concrete and the pool will have an additional 400sq ft. I like the look of travertine but unfortunately I can't afford to do the entire thing with travertine. I'm considering kool deck and would like some input. Does it hold up well? PB is quoting me half price for kool deck vs travertine.

I also thought about doing the existing 600sq ft in slate but have read bad review pertaining to the way it flakes.

I am open to any suggestions.
    16K gal, IG gunite - pebble sheen aqua blue (filled 9/14/2013) , Hayward EcoStar pump, Hayward Tristar Waterfall pump, Hayward cartridge 425, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Stenner Pump, and hayward tigershark qc.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Decking suggestions

If you are close to the Woodlands you should go over to Cody Pools. They have a gate on the left side of the building that is open all the time.

They have different types of deck, coping, pebbletec, fountains, stones, setup around a decent sized pool. Go over during the middle of a hot sunny day and take your shoes off and walk around on it. Both dry and wet to see what works best for you. They have kool deck too I believe.

Sales guy may come out. No pressure and will answer your questions. Cool place. Our stone people recommended we go there.

Also, not sure where your builder is getting his travertine but we got a good price from the nice people at QDIstone.
    ~TexSS Built: 8/13, 19K Gal ?, IG Pebble, 3 HP IntelliFlo XF Pump, 100 Sq. Ft Pentair Quad D.E. Cartridge Style Filter, Chlorine, Cleaner Pentair Legend
    Geometric Pool Size 24 x 26 513 Square Feet; Perimeter - 107; Depth 3 x 5 1/2 x 4
    100 Sq. Ft Pentair Quad D.E. Cartridge Style Filter; System Pump Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo XF; Water Feature Pump Pentair 2 HP Whisperflo; Pentair EasyTouch 8 Automated Control System, with IntelliChlor and Wireless Remote Control; ScreenLogic 2; Heater - 400,000 BTU Pentair MasterTemp; Cleaner Pentair Legend; 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color LED Pool Lights & Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color LED Spa Light; Nysa Travertine Coping; Honey Gold Classic Split Faced Wall Stone; Pebble Sheen - Aqua Blue; Walnut Tumbled Travertine Decking atop 4 Poured Concrete Decking

3. Back To Top    #3

Almost forgot. We are doing the concrete base with travertine tile instead of thick travertine. Much less expensive and the PB and QDI said its just as good.
    ~TexSS Built: 8/13, 19K Gal ?, IG Pebble, 3 HP IntelliFlo XF Pump, 100 Sq. Ft Pentair Quad D.E. Cartridge Style Filter, Chlorine, Cleaner Pentair Legend
    Geometric Pool Size 24 x 26 513 Square Feet; Perimeter - 107; Depth 3 x 5 1/2 x 4
    100 Sq. Ft Pentair Quad D.E. Cartridge Style Filter; System Pump Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo XF; Water Feature Pump Pentair 2 HP Whisperflo; Pentair EasyTouch 8 Automated Control System, with IntelliChlor and Wireless Remote Control; ScreenLogic 2; Heater - 400,000 BTU Pentair MasterTemp; Cleaner Pentair Legend; 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color LED Pool Lights & Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color LED Spa Light; Nysa Travertine Coping; Honey Gold Classic Split Faced Wall Stone; Pebble Sheen - Aqua Blue; Walnut Tumbled Travertine Decking atop 4 Poured Concrete Decking

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Acrylic textured coating over concrete can be textured like Kool Deck, but it last longer, is non porous and won't stain. It can also be textured and colored to look like almost any surface you can imagine.

Here is the products I used.

http://www.prefdeck.com/pageGallery.html
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

We did the thick travertine over a sand base for ease of access to plumbing in the future. It only cost $1 more per square foot than Kool deck. Travertine is cool underfoot and looks great. We had a top notch installer and it shows. Initially we did just the pool deck but 9 months later had it installed on our covered patio's concrete floor and tied it into the pool deck for a seamless look. Couldn't be happier.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will take a ride by QDI this week and look around.

If its not too expensive I think we will end up with travertine tile. I will keep everyone up to date.
    16K gal, IG gunite - pebble sheen aqua blue (filled 9/14/2013) , Hayward EcoStar pump, Hayward Tristar Waterfall pump, Hayward cartridge 425, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Stenner Pump, and hayward tigershark qc.

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you guys find any issues with travertine being slippery? I'm thinking of pavers but travertine would look sweet. But I'm concerned how slippery my deck might end up...

Thanks!
    TF-100 XL w/ Speed Stir
    South facing, roughly 10,000 gallon inground L shapped PebbleSheen with spa (plastered 7/30/2014 and filled 7/31)
    Jandy Pro Series Filter Cartridge 580 SF, Jandy Pro Series ePump Variable Speed Pump, 2.0HP