Bleach ?

May 29, 2013
I'm a proud participant in TFP and tell all my friends about this site! I want to make the switch to BBB once my last Boyle of acid is gone :lol:

Regarding "bleach" for BBB. Is this only household bleach or also pool chlorine? Label reads the same "sodium hypochlorite".

I've been starting to price bleach in my area and it seems that sometimes pool bleach is less expensive sometimes (higher concentration).

Also, if household bleach, just regular, I scented, correct?

Thanks!

:scratch: borax has the opposite affect as muriatic acid.

BBB is not about using specific chemicals. The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

My bad.......I had the borax confused. Needed to go back to pool school :eek:

So, If I understand correctly, BBB is a process and not only about using baking soda/borax/bleach. Makes so much sense to only add what your pool needs and not all the pool store gimmicky stuff. I also like the flexibility of using other traditional chemicals if that is what I have on hand. I love being in control. I can't believe I once wanted to get a pool service to help me get started on my pool ownership journey!

BBB isn't using ONLY bleach, borax, and baking soda it just means knowing exactly what you are putting in your pool and only adding what is needed. Muratic acid is the best method of lowering pH and is what is recommended.

Really I see 3 primary philosophies when it comes to pool maintenance. Pool store, big box store, and BBB.

-Pool store philosophy is really popular because it requires no thought, just deep pockets. You don't know anything about your pool, you just bottle up some water once a week and take it to them and follow their instructions. Usually you have the TC/pH test and know when the colors change too much to add something, but mostly it is the weekly additions. They will spend lot's of time selling you on the products because they know you don't know what they do and you need convinced it's worth the cost. It tends to work, the water usually stays mostly clear, and they are the experts, right? Also all natural, mineral, ionizer, ozone, baquacil, etc. programs fall under this as there is always somebody selling them on the supposed benefits of these more expensive alternatives.

-Big Box philosophy is the big HTH signs you see at Walmart, Meijer, or Kmart (yes, there are still a few around!). Popular with smaller intex pools that are sold there, this is the "1. Balance, 2. Chlorinate, 3. Shock, 4. Algaecide" thing. It is a DIY, usually involves a better test kit, but still has it's shortcomings. Tends to work for small pools that will just be drained at the end of the season, or if things get too out of hand. Cheaper than a pool store but still involve the weekly "shock" and algaecide treatments.

-BBB is the TFP way. We don't sell it, we educate. We want somebody to understand what is involved with the pool store program, to understand their pool chemistry, to understand how the BBB method actually works and what is involved, and to make their own choice. We do this because we know that it is better results at a lower cost. You cannot just pass the buck though, you must test your own water with a kit up to the task. You must learn what all the complicated words and acronyms mean. You must learn the tricks, like TA increaser is nothing but sodium bicarbonate and that that is baking soda. You must learn the relationship between CYA and chlorine. In the end though it becomes simple, and so does maintaining a crystal clear pool that people will swear doesn't have chlorine in it.

So why doesn't everyone follow the BBB method? Firstly are those who would rather pay thousands a year to not have to learn. But, IMO, the biggest reason is the pool store. I learned from my business some tricks that some of our competitors use that I see in them. If you make your living off of selling something overpriced to people who do not know any better, you will do anything to keep them from switching to a lower cost better result system. So if you can't compete by educating the consumer, you must lie. To save business they will lie about bleach destroying your liner and use lines like "would you use pool chemicals in your laundry?" They will tell you that chlorine burns eyes and causes itchy skin. They will do whatever they can to keep the cash flowing.

So remember, BBB isn't necessarily a good versus bad scenario. But when one side uses education to help you make an informed decision, and another side uses the hard sell and spreads misinformation to keep you from switching, well, I will let you make your own decisions on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.