Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach ?

I'm a proud participant in TFP and tell all my friends about this site! I want to make the switch to BBB once my last Boyle of acid is gone

Regarding "bleach" for BBB. Is this only household bleach or also pool chlorine? Label reads the same "sodium hypochlorite".

I've been starting to price bleach in my area and it seems that sometimes pool bleach is less expensive sometimes (higher concentration).

Also, if household bleach, just regular, I scented, correct?

Thanks!
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach ?

You are correct. Same thing. And yes sometimes cheaper at po....pool sto....Sheesh I can't even say it!!
    And yes, regular unscented bleach.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It is all the same thing ... liquid chlorine = bleach ... just different concentrations. And just stick to the regular stuff, no scented/outdoor/thicker stuff.

Check out the "Bleach Prices 2013" thread ... there are also a few calculators around to help determine what is the best value. Like this one:
    http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/calc/chlorine/
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone! I want to become a BBB purist! Just had to add a little muriatic as my ph crept up. Almost on my way to using borax instead!
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

borax has the opposite affect as muriatic acid.

BBB is not about using specific chemicals. The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Borax will RAISE pH. I am inferring from your post that you are under the impression that borax lowers pH. Please correct me if I misunderstood.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

My bad.......I had the borax confused. Needed to go back to pool school

So, If I understand correctly, BBB is a process and not only about using baking soda/borax/bleach. Makes so much sense to only add what your pool needs and not all the pool store gimmicky stuff. I also like the flexibility of using other traditional chemicals if that is what I have on hand. I love being in control. I can't believe I once wanted to get a pool service to help me get started on my pool ownership journey!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

BBB isn't using ONLY bleach, borax, and baking soda it just means knowing exactly what you are putting in your pool and only adding what is needed. Muratic acid is the best method of lowering pH and is what is recommended.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jmerich
    So, If I understand correctly, BBB is a process....
    Yes, although lately I've been calling it more of a philosophy and way of being. Very Zen, I know, but that's kinda what it's about.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Really I see 3 primary philosophies when it comes to pool maintenance. Pool store, big box store, and BBB.

-Pool store philosophy is really popular because it requires no thought, just deep pockets. You don't know anything about your pool, you just bottle up some water once a week and take it to them and follow their instructions. Usually you have the TC/pH test and know when the colors change too much to add something, but mostly it is the weekly additions. They will spend lot's of time selling you on the products because they know you don't know what they do and you need convinced it's worth the cost. It tends to work, the water usually stays mostly clear, and they are the experts, right? Also all natural, mineral, ionizer, ozone, baquacil, etc. programs fall under this as there is always somebody selling them on the supposed benefits of these more expensive alternatives.

-Big Box philosophy is the big HTH signs you see at Walmart, Meijer, or Kmart (yes, there are still a few around!). Popular with smaller intex pools that are sold there, this is the "1. Balance, 2. Chlorinate, 3. Shock, 4. Algaecide" thing. It is a DIY, usually involves a better test kit, but still has it's shortcomings. Tends to work for small pools that will just be drained at the end of the season, or if things get too out of hand. Cheaper than a pool store but still involve the weekly "shock" and algaecide treatments.

-BBB is the TFP way. We don't sell it, we educate. We want somebody to understand what is involved with the pool store program, to understand their pool chemistry, to understand how the BBB method actually works and what is involved, and to make their own choice. We do this because we know that it is better results at a lower cost. You cannot just pass the buck though, you must test your own water with a kit up to the task. You must learn what all the complicated words and acronyms mean. You must learn the tricks, like TA increaser is nothing but sodium bicarbonate and that that is baking soda. You must learn the relationship between CYA and chlorine. In the end though it becomes simple, and so does maintaining a crystal clear pool that people will swear doesn't have chlorine in it.

So why doesn't everyone follow the BBB method? Firstly are those who would rather pay thousands a year to not have to learn. But, IMO, the biggest reason is the pool store. I learned from my business some tricks that some of our competitors use that I see in them. If you make your living off of selling something overpriced to people who do not know any better, you will do anything to keep them from switching to a lower cost better result system. So if you can't compete by educating the consumer, you must lie. To save business they will lie about bleach destroying your liner and use lines like "would you use pool chemicals in your laundry?" They will tell you that chlorine burns eyes and causes itchy skin. They will do whatever they can to keep the cash flowing.

So remember, BBB isn't necessarily a good versus bad scenario. But when one side uses education to help you make an informed decision, and another side uses the hard sell and spreads misinformation to keep you from switching, well, I will let you make your own decisions on that.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Very well said Donaldson
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

12. Back To Top    #12

Well put Donaldson. For me, I prefer to be educated!

13. Back To Top    #13

+10 Donaldson!!!!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.