New Pump or can it be fixed?

AprilNC

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
So, the pump is leaking from the main seal ... and I am pretty sure it is an old pump - not actually sure of the age but over 7 years. Can you replace the main seal? Or is it just a new pump?

We have a 3/4 sta-rite now and it seems to blow water hard into the pool ... so no problems with flow or performance. Would you just make do until it starts leaking really bad?

We would like to replace the pool in the future - in 2-5 years

I am guessing the shaft seal? Water drops are being flung up by the spinning ... I don't think that is supposed to happen LOL

I'll have to see if I can find the model #

The first picture is where it is leaking - the second picture is what is doing the flinging ... I think =)

It's a pretty steady drip when the pump is running.

Attachments

• 016a.jpg
    016a.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 015a.jpg
    015a.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 45
That thing is there to do just that, preventing water from a leak entering the motor and doing more damage there.

The pump - motor connection has to be open at that point to allow the slinger to throw water outwards.

However an open spinning shaft is non considered "safe" because something can be caught on it (long hair, neck tie etc) and cause an injury, at least in theory.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.