Pump Recommendation..

deadmandontcry

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2013
San Rafael, CA
Hello All:

This is my first post here. We just moved into a new place and it has a pool. I am looking forward to learning how to maintain it. This forum has been a great resource already.

Our pump is making a ton of noise. I am not mechanic, but it sounds like the bearings are shot. So much that our neighbor from across the street came over to ask if we could fix it. It seems like it would make more sense at this point to replace it for energy efficiency reasons. I would like to share the specifications of our pool and then get recommendations on a replacement pump and the difference between a few types.

Pool Information
Type: Inground
Size: 26,000 Gallons
Pump Type: WhisperFlo 1 HP 0-177450-03
Cleaner Pump: Pentair 3/4 HP LA01N
Cleaner Type: Letro Legend 10371
Control Panel: EasyTouch4
Wireless Controller: EasyTouch 4
Chlorinator: IntelliChlor IC40
Filter: Clean and Clear Plus - 420 cu 160301

My questions are:
1) Do people recommend a specific replacement pump for this set-up? I would like something reliable, energy efficient and quiet. I was looking at this one: IntellifloXF - http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... mp-452.htm

There are 19 different pumps on that page. VF, VS+SRVS, etc. Does anyone know of a guide to the differences? I couldn't find anything on their site.

2) What is the difference between the Pentair and the Sta-Rite brands?

3) Is the installation complicated? I have beginner/intermediate plumbing experience.
3a) Are there any guides that anyone knows of on the installation?

I have included a picture of the set-up and have a sound clip of the noise but could not attach it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nick

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 102
I just replaced my Whisterflo motor (usually no need to replace the whole pump). I went with 2-speed B2982 some info in this thread: pump-efficiency-t65420.html It's fairly easy to change the motor and add a new seal kit. Fairly good video here (which might be helpful with your current motor should you repair it). Running a 2 speed on low is so quiet and energy saving.

Welcome to tfp, deadmandontcry :wave:

If it is just the bearings, they can be replaced by a motor shop (or a handy diyer). The next cheapest is the 2-speed approach like tcat mentioned. Since you already have a pump, a vs may not payback even with the high electric rates you have in cali.

I can't find the model number you posted to confirm which 1hp whisperflo you have. Are there any other model numbers you can see?

Hey. Thanks for the replies. On the Model #, I wrote down a part number. I believe the model is the WFE-4. It is a 1 horsepower. I think it was purchased at the end of '06.

Also I forgot to mention that it is a saline pool and has 4 small solar panels. It looks like the total costs on the motor would be around $350, so a $500 net save is pretty compelling.

Although if a new variable speed would cut costs by 25% it would pay itself off in a little less that two years by my back to the napkin calculation.

Nick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.