120v pool light question

Jul 19, 2013
I replaced my Pentair Amerlite pool light today and it doesn't work. I installed a 120V light, but the old light (I just found out) was a 12V. Shouldn't it still work anyway? I thought the transformer was built in to the light? Maybe the bulb was damaged during UPS shipping? Any ideas why the light doesn't work? Thanks

Was the whole light fixture replaced or just the bulb?
In my experience there was only one voltage for the Amerlight and it was 120V and 400W
The most obvious place to start would be to check and see if you have power to the light.

Some 12 volt lights have the transformer in the fixture, most have the transformer back at the equipment pad.

You should measure the voltage at the junction box. If it is 12 volts, there is no way the light will work without some rewiring back at the equipment pad.

There is no particular reason to suspect a problem with the light or fixture. While such things do happen now and then, the odds are high that the problem is elsewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.