Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 120v pool light question

1. Back To Top    #1

120v pool light question

I replaced my Pentair Amerlite pool light today and it doesn't work. I installed a 120V light, but the old light (I just found out) was a 12V. Shouldn't it still work anyway? I thought the transformer was built in to the light? Maybe the bulb was damaged during UPS shipping? Any ideas why the light doesn't work? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 120v pool light question

Was the whole light fixture replaced or just the bulb?
    In my experience there was only one voltage for the Amerlight and it was 120V and 400W
    The most obvious place to start would be to check and see if you have power to the light.
    14K gal. AG(with deep end) All [Hayward] equipment(1hp superpump, 210T sand filter, Inline chlorinator)

3. Back To Top    #3

I replaced the whole light fixture. It is tied in with the light in the spa and that light works so its has to be the bulb or the light fixture, right?

4. Back To Top    #4

Some 12 volt lights have the transformer in the fixture, most have the transformer back at the equipment pad.

You should measure the voltage at the junction box. If it is 12 volts, there is no way the light will work without some rewiring back at the equipment pad.

There is no particular reason to suspect a problem with the light or fixture. While such things do happen now and then, the odds are high that the problem is elsewhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I had to do some rewiring to get it to work 120V instead of 12V. However, after much frustration, the brand new bulb inside the brand new fixture was bad also!

6. Back To Top    #6

Congratulations!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School