Help a Rookie with new pool

Jul 9, 2013
I just completed the setup of my 20 x 52 Intex. It has been filled since Sunday. I recieved my TF-100 yesterday, but I did not get home until late and have not used it other than PH and chlorine. The chlorine looks to be low around .5-1. The PH is high at 8.2. I have not added anything to my water except salt for the SWG and have been running it on Boost and the 1600 gph filter 24hrs a day while I waited for my kit.

I plan to leave it up all year. Should I follow the guide for seasonal pools to start this thing? Dichlor for 4 days? I know I need to get my CYA up and prob help the SWG with some bleach. I have BBB on hand and that is all. What do I need to go buy?

I will perform the full water test when I get home but would like to make a pool store stop on the way to get what is needed.

Thanks!! Love the site. Been working my way through pool school...

You can treat it either way. Rather than buying Dichlor I'd probably just get HTH stabilizer at Walmart, put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return. The sun is going to eat chlorine fast until you get some stabilizer in it. I'd aim for 50 to start and then bring it slowly up to 70-80. At 8.2 ph could actually be higher, I'd get some muratic acid at the hardware store and put in enough to get to 7.2 wait and hour and test again.

So I need to go buy some stabilizer from Wally World and some muratic acid to bring the PH down. Then I need to wait a week for the CYA level to register on my test and in the meantime try and keep the FC level up. Does that sound right?

Basically, although realize that the CYA will actually lower the pH some, so do not lower the pH too much with MA.

Once you add the stabilizer, assume the CYA is at the level you are targeting and use it to determine the required FC levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.