Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help a Rookie with new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help a Rookie with new pool

I just completed the setup of my 20 x 52 Intex. It has been filled since Sunday. I recieved my TF-100 yesterday, but I did not get home until late and have not used it other than PH and chlorine. The chlorine looks to be low around .5-1. The PH is high at 8.2. I have not added anything to my water except salt for the SWG and have been running it on Boost and the 1600 gph filter 24hrs a day while I waited for my kit.

I plan to leave it up all year. Should I follow the guide for seasonal pools to start this thing? Dichlor for 4 days? I know I need to get my CYA up and prob help the SWG with some bleach. I have BBB on hand and that is all. What do I need to go buy?

I will perform the full water test when I get home but would like to make a pool store stop on the way to get what is needed.

Thanks!! Love the site. Been working my way through pool school...
    20 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AG, 8K gal, 1600 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWG (copper unplugged), setup 7//14/13 Pearland,TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help a Rookie with new pool

You can treat it either way. Rather than buying Dichlor I'd probably just get HTH stabilizer at Walmart, put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return. The sun is going to eat chlorine fast until you get some stabilizer in it. I'd aim for 50 to start and then bring it slowly up to 70-80. At 8.2 ph could actually be higher, I'd get some muratic acid at the hardware store and put in enough to get to 7.2 wait and hour and test again.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

It the liquid stabilizer faster/easier? Is it safe to assume my CYA is 0 since I have not added anything. I'd like to calculate how much I need.
    20 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AG, 8K gal, 1600 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWG (copper unplugged), setup 7//14/13 Pearland,TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, but is also much more expensive, so not really worth it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

So I need to go buy some stabilizer from Wally World and some muratic acid to bring the PH down. Then I need to wait a week for the CYA level to register on my test and in the meantime try and keep the FC level up. Does that sound right?

6. Back To Top    #6

Once the stabilizer dissolves treat the pool as if it is there, it may not show on a test for a week. Otherwise sounds good.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

7. Back To Top    #7

Basically, although realize that the CYA will actually lower the pH some, so do not lower the pH too much with MA.

Once you add the stabilizer, assume the CYA is at the level you are targeting and use it to determine the required FC levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

How long does it take for the CYA to lower the PH? Maybe I should just wait a few days before adding muriatic.

9. Back To Top    #9

It will lower the pH as it dissolves. I would lower the pH to 7.8 at least for now with muriatic acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

How long after adding bleach and acid is it safe to swim?

Ok to swim while the CYA is dissolving?

11. Back To Top    #11

30 to 60 min's would be ok.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.