Sudden PH spikes?

Apr 29, 2013
NE Oklahoma
I go out and skim and take a look at the pool every morning and test the water roughly 3-4 times a week. About every other day or two.

Yesterday the water chemistry was perfect.

Son didn't know I tested it yesterday and tested it this morning. It is very high PH. I retested and sure enough it went from 7.6 to darker than the highest color code.

That's the second time the Ph spiked suddenly and dramatically.

Can anyone tell me why that is? The water looks crystal clear. I just used the broom on it the other day. The swg is going 8 hours per day. The free chlorine and combined chlorine are spot on.

I can't think of anything we've done that could cause it. The man looked up stuff with google and said he thinks the kids making whirlpools aerated the pool too much and caused it. Seriously? I don't think so and even if it is, I'm not going to yell and the kids to quite swimming in circles. It's some kind of child requirement in a pool, to make the biggest whirlpool they can, right? ;p

In addition to Linen's question. Aeration can cause PH to go up usually not fast, have you added water recently? What PH is your fill water? Low TA can cause quick swings in PH.

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you.

This morning I added the bleach and later the acid.

I know those will fix the numbers. But what can I do to keep things more level?

FC 2
Ph 8
TA 100
Calcium 110
Cya - 70

Oh I just want to give a huge thanks for this board. It was a ton of work putting the pool in but it has not been nearly has much a pita as everyone else I know IRL seems to think a pool is to maintain.

My father in law was saying what a nightmare a pool is to maintain and I was completely baffled. Once it's properly set up - test the water a few times a week and vac it maybe every 2 weeks. I skim it with the net before swimming. That's it. I'm certainly not "spending hours a week" maintaining it. *confused*

Well you are right. Most people just never take the time to learn about Pool Chemistry, and end up in a constant battle with the pool.

Your pH needs to come down and it would help to push that TA down as well. How to do that is in Pool School, but you will keep pushing the pH down to about 7.2 and aerate to raise it over and over until the TA is where you want it. Your SWG pool will do better when you get TA in the 60-80 range. Otherwise you will continue to fight this upward movement of pH which is common with a SWG. I didn't state the obvious, but guess I should mention that your FC is way low... Glad you are enjoying the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.