Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Rain ruined my algae clean up

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Rain ruined my algae clean up

So we just bought a house with an inground pool...The way it looked when we moved in last week...

Pool by plpinkinsa, on Flickr

Have no experience and have learned a lot thru trial and error but I'm about to throat punch someone if I can't get this pool cleaned! After a lot of talking to different pool guys and pool stores. From the advice of a pool guy, we used black algae killer and flocked the pool. The next day we could see the bottom!! and dead algae at the bottom...

Untitled by plpinkinsa, on Flickr
    We vacuumed to waste once...The next morning, it started raining and has been raining for several days...

Yesterday the rain stopped and now the water looks like this...

I'm not sure what to do now...I shocked the pool yesterday and have been running on filter for about 16 hours...I don't know if I should continue to keep my chlorine high and filter...I called the local pool store and the guy is telling me to shock and flock again and then vacuum to waste. Yesterday we tried to vacuum to waste and it wasn't doing anything but pushing the particles around the pool. It didn't seem to be picking anything up...I have a 20,000 gallon pool, with a sand filter...I've been reading a bunch of different methods. I had read before to keep running the filter and it would clear up.
    Cecilia
    20,000 gallon gunite in-ground pool
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair 320 automatic chlorinator
    Pentair whisperflo 1hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Rain ruined my algae clean up

Well, the pool doesn't care if it's raining

You should follow the SLAM process in Pool School to a T. It will cure the problem.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You are blending advice from different sources and are ending up caught in the middle. You should make a choice on a resource for information and then stick with that source....it'll prevent a lot of the confusion you are experiencing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My chlorine test kit only goes up to 5 ppm ...Would this test just the chlorine above 5ppm? http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html
    Cecilia
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair whisperflo 1hp

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, that is what you need to SLAM the pool. You also need to know your CYA level. Do you have a test kit that can test for CYA?
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I do...I took a sample in the local pool store

CYA is 70
    tc 8.5
    fc 7.5
    ph 7.8
    TA 139
    adj TA 118
    TH 246

Just added some Muriatic Acid to adjust my PH before I start
    Cecilia
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair whisperflo 1hp

7. Back To Top    #7

If your vacuum stopped picking up anything, sounds like you should backwash your filter to lower the pressure. And proabably at least a couple more times during the SLAM process. Nice polish btw!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If the pool got it right, which is a big if, you need to hold your chlorine at a 24 for several day to go through the SLAM process to get rid of algae.

Get your own test kit and for get the pool store and read up on pool school in the top right corner.

Floc only clears up the current issue. Algae will come back until you pass the three SLAM goals.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the help! I've been enjoying the pool Everything is cleared up and we're finally able to have family over for swimming.

Cecilia
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair whisperflo 1hp

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't think you are done yet. Your water is still quite cloudy (the hose disappears). Review the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool Your are not done until all three criteria (also in my sig) are met simultaneously.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

+1 what linen said. Great job so far, but if you quit before you have met all three requirements you will end up right where you started. Around here, clear means you can clearly see a quarter on the bottom of the deepest part of the pool. You'll get there if you keep following SLAM to a T.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep going until you can see what type of screw was used on the floor drain. You will get there.

My avatar is what a coin should look like on the floor of your pool.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Visability has significantly cleared up since I took the photo. Still a work in progress...I now have grass I need to fish out since we recently mowed but can see down to the bottom step. Deep end is still a little cloudy.

Cecilia
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair whisperflo 1hp

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by plpinkinsa
    VDeep end is still a little cloudy.
    From what I can see, shallow end still looks cloudy too. Regardless, since you are still cloudy in the deep end, I would post a full set of test results. Were you able to get a non-pool store cya reading?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

I didn't re-read the whole thread, so I have a few questions. First, have you gotten the recommended test kit yet? If so, have you passed the OCLT and is your CC <.5? If yes, you may want to try adding some DE to your filter.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.