Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PLEASE HELP! New pool turned hazy overnight

1. Back To Top    #1

PLEASE HELP! New pool turned hazy overnight

Two days ago i set up a Summer Escape pop up pool. We started to fill it that night and I placed a chlorine floater with 3" tab in it. The next morning we fill a little more prior to work. That night when my husband got home I had him turn the filter on realizing that we probably should have turned it on that night even though the pool was not completely full, when I go home an hour or so later it appeared to have gone hazy and loss that sparkle the first day. (just an FYI its been in the 90's here and extreme humidity and the pool is in direct sun all day) I tested the pool with HTH 6 way test strips and the PH and alkaline is very low but everything else was in the normal range. I used a shock treatment and re tested this morning and it still appears to be the same and still hazy. I went to walmart this morning and bought pretty much every HTH pool product them make but looking for some suggestions before I start dumping stuff in. A pool store told me to get my PH up but reading on like other say get the alkaline up first?? There is so much conflicting info I get more and more confused the more I read. Any suggestions I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PLEASE HELP! New pool turned hazy overnight

Welcome to tfp, nmemory

Have you looked at this pool school article yet?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide

TA (total alkalinity) measurements from strips are not very reliable. However, usually they are okay for ph. I would just adjust your ph up with borax. Use the poolcalculator.com to calculate dosing.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow that was fast thanks a bunch for the info. I should probably by the real test kit. After I add the PH+ how long should I wait to re test?

4. Back To Top    #4

With the pump running you can retest in 1/2 hour typically.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by nmemory
    I should probably by the real test kit.
    What size is your pool? Have you looked at this article?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison You maybe able to get by with the HTH 6-way drop based test kit mentioned in that article if you are fairly willing to drain/refill if there are problems.

6. Back To Top    #6

Perfect thanks! I pretty sure it said 1471 gallon 12' x 2.6'??

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a pretty small pool (it is what I started with). If you are interested in the chemistry and/or are planning to get a larger pool in the future, then the tf-100 test kit still could be a good choice. But you can drain and refill that pool very easily (and the pool is fairly low cost) so the HTH kit may make more sense...you might even get by with a 2-way drop based test kit as long as you keep track of your cya additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

Figured it was a good starter pool and perfect for my 3yr old. Well hopefully bringing the ph up will clear the pool I want crystal clear water like my dads pool it looks so pretty and way more inviting to swim in. Thank you so much for you help and I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Bringing the ph up won't clear it, but you should do that first and get it up to 7.2. What you need to clear the pool is the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

If you know how much cya you have put in your pool (or not added any), then you find you SLAM FC level. Stabilzer/conditioner, trichlor (often in puck form), and dichlor (often granular in form) all add cya. Have you used any of that?

10. Back To Top    #10

Is the Slam the same as the HTH shock n swim bags I'm getting? How soon after the PH level is corrected can i shock an go in?

11. Back To Top    #11

No, SLAM is a process, not a one time addition of chemicals. See the link in my signature. It is safe to swim when your FC is greater than the minimum for your CYA level and below your shock level.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

12. Back To Top    #12

OK thanks again for all your help ?