Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I clean pool from inside while slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I clean pool from inside while slamming

To do a better job of getting all algae, can I get into pool and brush if pole is not long enough?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can I clean pool from inside while slamming

Welcome to the forum.

Absolutely. I have done it more than once (not that I ever get algae....I was just practicing in case I do. )
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, latinpr0phet

You can safely swim up to your SLAM level. Even some above that won't harm you for short periods of exposure. You may just want to rinse off after (and you may want to use an old swimsuit).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank You for quick reply.

I just started this whole pool thing and realized it was connected wrong, and was never shown how to maintain FC. So now I have a small algae issue. I have added a bottle of liquid chlorine and TC is high, so that is why I asked that question.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool is 16 ft' x 4 ft' tall
    6000 gallons
    AG
    Sand Filter
    7/4/2013 pool installed Used

Not sure how to read this test strip, currently SLAMMING Pool CC is above 10 ppm I guess because 10ppm is blue and the test strip is Green. FC is currently 10ppm which should be ok for SLAMMING. Should I continue to add more chlorine, since cc is still high and there is a smell of chlorine?

6. Back To Top    #6

Following strips isn't a good idea. Not accurate nor precise enough. So to answer your question, we really can't answer your question.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank You..

I figured that much.. Ill see if I can pick up a decent testing kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

This link will save you the time of ordering the incorrect kit. It is not the cheapest but it is the best value out there and comes with a more convenient case. You can do as many twice as many of each of individual tests as you can with the Taylor kits, it comes with a dedicated CL tester and you will save more time with kit.

You will not find it on any store shelf (unless you are near Rocklin, CA, and even there, you need to ask for them to got get it out of the warehouse... it's not on the shelf).
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you Techguy.. You have been very helpful.. Not easy going through all this when you are a total newbie, and using a used pool. Too many variables and tons to learn. I did not even know what position for handle on multi valve filter. It took me 3 hours to find some time of diagram on the web. But now filter is on right setting. Will look into that tester and keep Slamming the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

If your pool wall is 4 ft, then most likely your water level is about 3.5 ft, then your volume is more like 5300. If you pool is an intex then it is a little less than that at 5061 gallons.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

When I started here, I was as lost as you are.

What we teach is how to take care of your own pool. The methods are almost polar opposites to what the store's and pool services tell you to do. It's because we test DAILY and take action DAILY that these methods work. The standard "dump this in the pool, call me in a week" doesn't happen here. We take action by testing, making a decision, adding a measured chemical to the pool (in the safest way possible) and testing again... in an hour, if need be. No assumptions are made, we test to know the issue and take the appropriate action.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100