No CC reading

Apr 29, 2013
Hello everyone. Great site you have here! I have the Taylor test kit and am going through my daily tests for the day and am stuck at CC. My FC reading came in at 7.5, but when I do the test where the water should turn pink, it stays white. So if I am reading the intructions right, this should be a sign of no combined chlorine.

Do I need to worry about this? Or should I just carry on with my tests? My water is crystal clear. My previous test had good numbers, do not have in front of me. And last night I added stabilizer since the FC and Ph would fluctuate a lot. Would that cause my problem with not being able to get a CC reading?

Thank you very much everyone!

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol:
Do I need to worry about this?
No, celebrate it....that's a good thing.

You seem to have some misconceptions about some of the parameters you are testing.

Re-read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Thank you so much duraleigh! My first pool and am trying my best to grasp all I can from this rocking site! :goodjob:

I've only had CC one time, right after opening this year I was SLAMing the pool for a minor amount of algae on the bottom. I've gotten so that I don't always do the CC test, maybe every other time.

Yep, no CCs is a good thing indeed. I just went through a 4 day SLAM and did not show a positive test for CCs once. In fact, I have never once measured anything over .5 CCs and even that is rare, and as I understand it, equivalent to 0 CCs in any case.

I don't know why, some people have CCs regularly, especially while going through the SLAM process and others just don't. I'd assume it has to do with the type of organics consuming the FC, but that is just a guess. Like Dan, I rarely test for CCs unless given a good reason. Maybe once a week or even a bit less, though I would not suggest you do the same as a beginner.

Keep testing, keep reading pool school and soon enough you'll be doing this in your sleep.

OK, I thought the sole reason to SLAM was to get rid of a 1.0ppm or greater CC. I figured by the time you had visible algae or cloudy water it would be a forgone conclusion that CC would be > 1.0ppm.
This makes sense though since it looks like my CC is <.5 ppm but my OCLT is still showing a 5 ppm loss overnight still.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I understand it right?, cc's show up when you're killing stuff faster than the cc's can outgas/disperse. I'm sure I've seen something from Chemgeek explaining it.

ChemGeek put together a great post in the deep end that explains this:

Combined chlorine (chloramine, dichloramine, and nitrogen trichloride) primarily results from Free Chlorine (aka hypochlorous acid) oxidizing nitrogen based componds, such as urine/urea) ammonia, sweat, etc. If all you are doing is killing algae and not oxidizing the above, it's very possible you won't ever see CC show up before, during, or after the SLAM process.

Think of CC as just one indicator that there might be something wrong. Dull/cloudy or green water -- anything but clear water -- is another indicator. A high overnight chlorine loss is another indicator. These are all indicators that a SLAM process is likely needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.