Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No CC reading

1. Back To Top    #1

No CC reading

Hello everyone. Great site you have here! I have the Taylor test kit and am going through my daily tests for the day and am stuck at CC. My FC reading came in at 7.5, but when I do the test where the water should turn pink, it stays white. So if I am reading the intructions right, this should be a sign of no combined chlorine.

Do I need to worry about this? Or should I just carry on with my tests? My water is crystal clear. My previous test had good numbers, do not have in front of me. And last night I added stabilizer since the FC and Ph would fluctuate a lot. Would that cause my problem with not being able to get a CC reading?

Thank you very much everyone!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: No CC reading

Welcome to the forum.
    Do I need to worry about this?
    No, celebrate it....that's a good thing.

You seem to have some misconceptions about some of the parameters you are testing.

Re-read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum.
    Do I need to worry about this?
    No, celebrate it....that's a good thing.

You seem to have some misconceptions about some of the parameters you are testing.

Re-read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Thank you so much duraleigh! My first pool and am trying my best to grasp all I can from this rocking site!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

am trying my best to grasp all I can from this rocking site!
    It's a lot to grasp initially but keep reading Pool School and keep asking questions......it'll all soon become second nature to you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I've only had CC one time, right after opening this year I was SLAMing the pool for a minor amount of algae on the bottom. I've gotten so that I don't always do the CC test, maybe every other time.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, no CCs is a good thing indeed. I just went through a 4 day SLAM and did not show a positive test for CCs once. In fact, I have never once measured anything over .5 CCs and even that is rare, and as I understand it, equivalent to 0 CCs in any case.

I don't know why, some people have CCs regularly, especially while going through the SLAM process and others just don't. I'd assume it has to do with the type of organics consuming the FC, but that is just a guess. Like Dan, I rarely test for CCs unless given a good reason. Maybe once a week or even a bit less, though I would not suggest you do the same as a beginner.

Keep testing, keep reading pool school and soon enough you'll be doing this in your sleep.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

7. Back To Top    #7

Why were you slamming if you had no CC?
    26.7K gal. vinyl (16x38 - 8ft deep end), 1 HP Centurion pump, 300 lb Sta-Rite Sand Filter, Blue Sapphire cleaning robot, TF100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by AfterTen
    CCs are not the only reason to SLAM. You could have cloudy water and/or visible algae without finding any CC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

OK, I thought the sole reason to SLAM was to get rid of a 1.0ppm or greater CC. I figured by the time you had visible algae or cloudy water it would be a forgone conclusion that CC would be > 1.0ppm.
    This makes sense though since it looks like my CC is <.5 ppm but my OCLT is still showing a 5 ppm loss overnight still.
    26.7K gal. vinyl (16x38 - 8ft deep end), 1 HP Centurion pump, 300 lb Sta-Rite Sand Filter, Blue Sapphire cleaning robot, TF100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterTen
    CCs are not the only reason to SLAM. You could have cloudy water and/or visible algae without finding any CC.
    That's sound advice. I have a lime green pool at the moment and 0.0 CC!!
    ~13,500 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool; Blue Haven SuperMax Variable Speed pump 1.5-.25 hp; Haywood 5060 booster pump;
    190 square foot cartridge filter; Haywood Phantom automatic cleaner; Ozonator (non-functional)

11. Back To Top    #11

If I understand it right?, cc's show up when you're killing stuff faster than the cc's can outgas/disperse. I'm sure I've seen something from Chemgeek explaining it.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

12. Back To Top    #12

The CC are broken down by the sun and FC ... so if you have a lot of FC and sun, you may never see the CC show up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

ChemGeek put together a great post in the deep end that explains this:

Combined chlorine (chloramine, dichloramine, and nitrogen trichloride) primarily results from Free Chlorine (aka hypochlorous acid) oxidizing nitrogen based componds, such as urine/urea) ammonia, sweat, etc. If all you are doing is killing algae and not oxidizing the above, it's very possible you won't ever see CC show up before, during, or after the SLAM process.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

14. Back To Top    #14

Think of CC as just one indicator that there might be something wrong. Dull/cloudy or green water -- anything but clear water -- is another indicator. A high overnight chlorine loss is another indicator. These are all indicators that a SLAM process is likely needed.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"