Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polished Pebbletec Flaking Off of Floor

1. Back To Top    #1

Polished Pebbletec Flaking Off of Floor

Hi Guys,

Tonight my kids jumped in and started screaming that the pool was falling apart. They have been swimming almost every day for the last week and just noticed this problem. It seems to have occurred overnight. There are about a dozen spots were the Pebbletec has started to delaminate. It looks like little 4" craters in some spots and other spots look like I shot it with bird shot. No grit appears to be on the floor anywhere, but I did not dive to the deep end.

Any ideas?

Test results:
    FC - 7
    CC - 0.5
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 70
    CH - 350
    CYA - 70
    Borates - not yet

Thanks for any thoughts before I call the pool renovators!

Jason
    1980 vintage, 22K gal, IG plaster, 1.5 hp pump, 175 sqft cartridge filter, iPure SWG, 180 sqft solar heater, Sand Shark Pool Vac, Pool School, TF100 Test Kit, Easytouch 8 (custom expanded valve controllers), 4x MagicStream Laminars, Intellibrite 5g.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polished Pebbletec Flaking Off of Floor

Certainly would contact the installers and PebbleTec directly so they are aware of the issue (likely want to know if one of their approved installers messed up the install).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought the house 5 year ago. Not sure how old the coating is or who put it on. I would say at least 15 years old. Odd that it all just happened over the course of 24 hours. Maybe it was soft and all the kids playing in there crumbled the weak spots?
    1980 vintage, 22K gal, IG plaster, 1.5 hp pump, 175 sqft cartridge filter, iPure SWG, 180 sqft solar heater, Sand Shark Pool Vac, Pool School, TF100 Test Kit, Easytouch 8 (custom expanded valve controllers), 4x MagicStream Laminars, Intellibrite 5g.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, you made it sound like you knew the company that installed it fairly recently (my bad ).

Are you SURE it is a PebbleTec product? It still may have some warranty and would contact them to take a look ... they will at least be able to offer you ideas about the path forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason,

Sorry about that. I was short on the info. I do not know for sure if it is a pebbletec coating. I will have a pool builder acquaintance come by and look at it next week.

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

If it is 15+ years old, then it could be at the end of it's lifetime. Delimitation is one of the known ways that old pebble/plaster surfaces fail. Normally PebbleTec will last 20 to 30 years. Since you don't know how old it is, it is at least possible that this is a normal old age thing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School