Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First test results

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results

I just got a Taylor K-2006 I tested my water with these results Chlorine(fc)2 ppm,ph 7.2 ,alk 180 ,cal 240 ppm,cya stayed clear and the dot was always visible
    28'x52" with7' deep end AG 2hp pump 3.1 sq ft sand filter 25500 gal,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test results

Welcome to TFP!!!

How does the water look?
    How new is the water?
    Did you do the FAS-DPD chlorine test? What was the CC?
    Looks like your CYA is near zero ... have you adding any by using trichlor pucks or dichlor powder or stabilizer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The water is clear,and I have a chlorinator on it with trichlor tabs the pool is about 2 weeks old.I discovered this site and want to go to the BBB method. This is my first [pool and I have read some of pool school, you guys seem really helpful to us rookies. Thanks for your reply
    28'x52" with7' deep end AG 2hp pump 3.1 sq ft sand filter 25500 gal,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I did all the tests in the top of my test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You are going to lose a lot of FC to the sun with the low CYA levels. Ideally, you would add stabilizer to get up to 30+ppm or so and then be using bleach to maintain the FC.

Once you understand what the tablets are adding, you could use them to add some more CYA ... or just save them for use while on vacation. How many tabs do you have?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, I'd go ahead and add up to 30 ppm cya with some granular in a sock.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

There are 6 tbs in the chlorinator, as for adding cya or stabilizer which one should I get, and do I have to go to the pool store to get it

8. Back To Top    #8

Stabilizer = Conditioner = CYA = cyanuric acid ... all are the same.

You can get it at Walmart or many hardware stores.

Just so you know, using poolcalculator.com, each puck is only adding [s:1migniak]1.6[/s:1migniak]1.3ppm of CYA to your pool. So it will take a long time to get up to the needed 30ppm. But once there, you could use the tablets to slowly raise it a little higher ... depends on how much sun you get.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I see said the blind man.I have been using poollife products sold to me by the store where I purchased my pool, such as turbo shock and the 3" tabs of trichlor these are the last tabs I have.My wife is a little nervous about me trying BBB but it sounds like common sense to me.

10. Back To Top    #10

Generally it ends up being cheaper using liquid chlorine because there are not the other side effects that you end up having to deal with when solid chlorine is used. And it is easier to understand what you are doing to the water because there are not so many interactions.

BTW, note I fixed a typo above, each puck adds 1.3ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks jbizzle I will keep you posted.

12. Back To Top    #12

since my pool gets a lot of sun should I go for a higher cya

13. Back To Top    #13

Maybe, but you do not want it too high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I just added 8 lbs of GLB stabilizer 99% cyanuric acid 1% other ingredients I put in about 2 lbs of turbo shock last night I will test this evening and start the bleach after that. One question, after I put in the bleach how long before it is ok to swim and what if I add borax

15. Back To Top    #15

Solid CYA can take a week to show up on the test. I think you can swim 1/2 hour after adding chemicals, with the pump running.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

16. Back To Top    #16

I know I responded to this ... but it was apparently lost in the interweb (or I forgot to click the Submit )

How did you add the CYA? As John said you have to wait a week before you re-test the CYA, but assume it is at your target level to determine the required FC level.

Yup and 30-60 minutes of pump time after the chemical addition is plenty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I dumped it in the deep end of the pool

18. Back To Top    #18

The lady (not a teenager) at the store said that it would dissolve in a few days 2 or 3

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

I dumped it in the deep end of the pool
    Not a good method but done is done. I suggest you vacuum it up into the filter today. You don't wan't it sitting in the bottom of your pool. Don't backwash for 3-5 days if you vacuum it into the filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

Second Test Results

Merged by Moderator. Keep it together please. Thanks, jblizzle

2hrs after adding bleach and borax here are my results FC8 CC 2 PH 8 TA 180 CH 180

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast