Best time of day to test and add chemicals

DigbyAllen

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2012
Westchester, NY
I've searched on the forum and pool school and can't find a consensus.

When is the best time to test the pool water and add chemicals? Morning? Evening? Before swimming? After swimming? When the pump is running or does it matter? Is consistency more important than time of day?

I've been testing daily but at random times. Depending on my schedule, sometimes first thing in the morning, but usually late in the evening. But in the evening my pump isn't running because I only run it during the day.

I figured it is best to add chlorine (I'm using bleach) in the evening rather than when the sun is out to try to keep the FC level up as long as possible. BTW I did an OCLT and my FC was 4.0 at night, and 3.5 in the morning, so that looks good. CC was zero in both cases.

Thanks.

Evening is preferred........and let the pool circulate for half an hour or so afterwards to mix in. That way.........you have the max disinfectant sitting in it overnight with no loss to sunlight.

Consisetency is more important.
The pump needs to be on 1 hour before you test and 1 hour after you add any chemicals.
Evening is best in my opinion so that the raised FC can act on anything in the pool and not be lost to the sun.

If you are going to have heavy use, it is certainly a good idea to bump up the FC before and/or after to help take care of whatever was added while swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.