Opening a pool late in July

JSCarr

Jul 18, 2013
My husband and I recently bought a house with an in ground vinyl lined pool. We move next week. The pool has yet to be opened this summer. Is it worth it to open it basically just for the month of August (we're in New England, we won't be able to use it much after mid-September), or to leave it closed? Are there any issues we should be on the lookout for if we do decide to open it? Any problems or things we should do if we just keep it closed? We would probably hire someone to come open it for us this first time.

I'm reading Pool School (twice, three times... going to keep reading until I understand!), have the TF-100 test kit on order and will answer any questions about the pool that I can without actually having access to it (sorry for not having the info in my signature, I'll add it once I can finally GET to the pool to do measurements I'll add it)

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately I have no idea what the water looks like :( . We have no access to the property until next Wednesday, but I figured I'd start looking for advice now so I can get the ball rolling ASAP. The pool is closed using water bags right now. What should I be looking for, is there a best/worst case scenario? Thanks again, I'm really nervous about this!

I was thinking if the water was clear, then I would for sure open it, so that you don't get algae. Most likely, from what you are saying the water is not really clear, but if it is covered, it may not have too much junk in it.

If it was me, I would open soon even if it is a green swamp, since you will eventually have to spend the time to clean it up regardless. So if you clean it up this fall and if you do the winterization correctly (per our instructions) and open early enough next spring, you should not have any/much clean up to repeat then. However, I would wait to start the clean-up until you have your tf-100, other than scooping out debris with a leaf net.

I second linen, might as well get any hard work out of the way now so that when you close you can be sure it is closed right. Come spring you will be able to get it open and ready in a day (except for temperature). Do you plan to always have someone open and close it for you?

Great, thanks so much for the advice! We found someone to open it and inspect it for us on Thursday (move-in day). I can't wait to start swimming in my pool!

Donldson, no, we won't always have someone open/close it for us. Probably just this time and maybe when we close it in September. I know I can do it myself if I read the directions enough, but with the added stress of moving and not wanting to mess up the pool with some rookie mistake I'll gladly pay the fee this time! Once I get into the swing of things I'm sure it will be no problem.

:wave: Welcome to TFP! I would order the TF100 test kit and get your own results. It is fine to let them open it, but you should control what chemicals are used based on your test results. Don't let them just start dumping things in per normal pool store fashion. Congrats on the new house and pool!

JSCarr said:
Donldson, no, we won't always have someone open/close it for us. Probably just this time and maybe when we close it in September.
Cool, just wanted to make sure because I added this part. Make sure you watch everything they do. Try to learn their process and the small things that they do that you may not have thought about. If you hire them to close do the same thing. You are right that you might have missed something so use it as a learning experience.

And as crek31 said, if you can just have them open and start the pump running. After they leave do your own testing (with a TF-100 preferably), post the results here, and we will help you get it going the right way from the get go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.