Installing new skimmer on Intex Ultra Frame Pool

Jun 10, 2013
Ok, tired of the stupid skimmer that comes with the intex pools. I ordered a through the wall skimmer from Amazon (Hayward SP1091LX). I have a couple questions before I attempt the install, I've read through multiple threads on the subject but still have some concerns....

1) The gasket appears to be a one piece "butterfly" gasket. Can I just cut it and use half on the inside and the other half on the outside? Any way to buy individual gaskets for the inside and outside?

2) How high up on the liner can I safely go? Does the height affect the max water level much?

3) What's the easiest way to puncture the side wall for inserting screws while not damaging the liner/wall?

4) I've read the easiest method is to install the skimmer and THEN cut the liner/side wall opening to the skimmer opening. Is this the best plan?

5) Anything I should be concerned with / be careful when doing so that I don't destroy my pool?

6) After install, I'll no longer need the original suction hole. Other than just leaving the valve attached and pulled shut, is there a way to "plug" or cap this hole off?

Thanks in advance!!!

Richard

bosoxfan said:
1) The gasket appears to be a one piece "butterfly" gasket. Can I just cut it and use half on the inside and the other half on the outside? Any way to buy individual gaskets for the inside and outside?

2) How high up on the liner can I safely go? Does the height affect the max water level much?

3) What's the easiest way to puncture the side wall for inserting screws while not damaging the liner/wall?

4) I've read the easiest method is to install the skimmer and THEN cut the liner/side wall opening to the skimmer opening. Is this the best plan?

5) Anything I should be concerned with / be careful when doing so that I don't destroy my pool?

6) After install, I'll no longer need the original suction hole. Other than just leaving the valve attached and pulled shut, is there a way to "plug" or cap this hole off?

1. Yes, you can cut the gasket and trim the extra nibs off, or you can buy the two piece replacement gasket set.

2. Search some of the other installs. You can go up above the top seam, but don't try to go to far up. You have to leave room for the liner to pinch flat.

3. A sharp awl, then open the hole a bit to allow room for the screw

4. Unless you drop your water level, this seems to work for most people.

5. ---

6. You can leave it with the valve, or install a normal pool fitting there and use it, or just whatever you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.