Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing new skimmer on Intex Ultra Frame Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing new skimmer on Intex Ultra Frame Pool

Ok, tired of the stupid skimmer that comes with the intex pools. I ordered a through the wall skimmer from Amazon (Hayward SP1091LX). I have a couple questions before I attempt the install, I've read through multiple threads on the subject but still have some concerns....

1) The gasket appears to be a one piece "butterfly" gasket. Can I just cut it and use half on the inside and the other half on the outside? Any way to buy individual gaskets for the inside and outside?

2) How high up on the liner can I safely go? Does the height affect the max water level much?

3) What's the easiest way to puncture the side wall for inserting screws while not damaging the liner/wall?

4) I've read the easiest method is to install the skimmer and THEN cut the liner/side wall opening to the skimmer opening. Is this the best plan?

5) Anything I should be concerned with / be careful when doing so that I don't destroy my pool?

6) After install, I'll no longer need the original suction hole. Other than just leaving the valve attached and pulled shut, is there a way to "plug" or cap this hole off?

Thanks in advance!!!

Richard

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing new skimmer on Intex Ultra Frame Pool

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxfan
    1) The gasket appears to be a one piece "butterfly" gasket. Can I just cut it and use half on the inside and the other half on the outside? Any way to buy individual gaskets for the inside and outside?

2) How high up on the liner can I safely go? Does the height affect the max water level much?

3) What's the easiest way to puncture the side wall for inserting screws while not damaging the liner/wall?

4) I've read the easiest method is to install the skimmer and THEN cut the liner/side wall opening to the skimmer opening. Is this the best plan?

5) Anything I should be concerned with / be careful when doing so that I don't destroy my pool?

6) After install, I'll no longer need the original suction hole. Other than just leaving the valve attached and pulled shut, is there a way to "plug" or cap this hole off?
    1. Yes, you can cut the gasket and trim the extra nibs off, or you can buy the two piece replacement gasket set.

2. Search some of the other installs. You can go up above the top seam, but don't try to go to far up. You have to leave room for the liner to pinch flat.

3. A sharp awl, then open the hole a bit to allow room for the screw

4. Unless you drop your water level, this seems to work for most people.

5. ---

6. You can leave it with the valve, or install a normal pool fitting there and use it, or just whatever you want.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Installed the skimmer today...very happy! Next project is to replace the hoses with PVC pipe!

4. Back To Top    #4

Check my thread, linked in purple in my sig. I've plumbed two new returns into the pool today. You might like how I did it. Pics are linked to a photobucket album that you can look through.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Interested in installing a through the wall skimmer on my 18x9x52 Intex Ultraframe pool. Can this be done without draining the water?

6. Back To Top    #6

good job let's see some pics, I to was scared, but I don't have any regrets, wait till you hard plumb, you will see a difference in flow and filter run time, less!!!!
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Just installed mine Saturday, It was really simple. Now just have to hard pipe it this weekend.pool1.jpgpool3.jpg
    18x48 ultra frame, 2150 sand filter, saltwater