Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to Keep Above Ground Pools Cold??

1. Back To Top    #1

How to Keep Above Ground Pools Cold??

Hi everyone!

I have a 10' x 30" round Intex above ground pool. And it is HOT outside. And so is my pool! I did some research and it looks like this is the only way to keep the pool water cold: http://www.mistcooling.com/mist-cooling ... round.html

Has anyone had any experiences with something like this? Or are there any other ideas on how to keep my pool water cold? I have a cover; it does absolutely nothing. Thanks everyone!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to Keep Above Ground Pools Cold??

Yes, this what you want. But DON'T buy it. Build it yourself, it will cost less than $10.

I'll find some links and add to this post.

This will get you started, no need to use a bolt, just buy a male and female threaded adapter and for the top get an end cap. Everything you need will be in the PVC aisle at any home improvement store.
    dane-s-how-to-for-a-quick-easy-pool-cooler-t36086.html

Here is my thread which shows different parts I've made.
    fountain-with-multiple-configurations-pics-and-video-t36183.html
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome! Thank you!

4. Back To Top    #4

No problem -- buy plenty of pvc pipe and extra parts, it's cheap and I definitely enjoyed making extra pieces. Just made a new "spray bar," last night with smaller holes so I can use it with my pump on low.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

What type of cover do you have? If it is somewhat light blocking, leaving it on when the sun is on the pool may help some.

Leaving the cover off at night should cool the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey thanks Speedo for posting my project. I hope it continues to help members stay cool. Just when I thought I wouldn't be using that cooler this year the current heat spike proves me wrong. My pool water hit 88 today so I might run it Friday night.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hah, you think 88 is hot? Mine hit 97 today. I'm saving the heat for the end of the season, though.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

..... Or, we could just switch kids. Had to turn the heater on today even though it was over 90 degrees the last two days.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

9. Back To Top    #9

Won't that restrict the return flow and damage the pump?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18x48; Intex 56671EG 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System 15,000 Gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jguard68
    As long as there is some flow there is no problem with restriction. The restriction lowers the flow rate and that actually makes the pump work less.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

for my intex ultra frame i got one of these sprinklers, attached it to the hose, and wrapped the hose around one of the beams. instant fountain for $3.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46876-306-876SC ... ct_price|0

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by ugafan
    for my intex ultra frame i got one of these sprinklers, attached it to the hose, and wrapped the hose around one of the beams. instant fountain for $3.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46876-306-876SC ... ct_price|0
    How are you plumbing that to your pool pump to cool the water?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    How are you plumbing that to your pool pump to cool the water?
    i don't have it plumbed to to the pool because i don't run the filter when i'm in the pool. i simply ran a garden hose to the pool and wrapped it around one of the vertical beams. the sprinkler screws into the garden hose.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ugafan
    i don't have it plumbed to to the pool because i don't run the filter when i'm in the pool. i simply ran a garden hose to the pool and wrapped it around one of the vertical beams. the sprinkler screws into the garden hose.
    I would agree it could make a neat fountain, but the cooling the op is asking for is not there. To significantly cool a pool with a fountain, the pools water needs to be run through it.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by jguard68
    As long as there is some flow there is no problem with restriction. The restriction lowers the flow rate and that actually makes the pump work less.
    Just to add, the pressure at my filter doesn't change much when the cooler is running. All of those tiny holes add up to one big hole. ...more or less.

I did use my cooler Friday night from 8 PM to 8 AM this morning. Starting water temp was 88 with air temp of 92. Overnight air temp dropped to around 75 with around 75% humidity. My pool water temp dropped to 80. Not bad.

16. Back To Top    #16

We run the solar heaters at night instead of the day. It definitely works!!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.