Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: more in depth question about lowering TA

1. Back To Top    #1

more in depth question about lowering TA

I've been working on lowering the TA of my pool as my ph climbs far too often due to built-in aeration. We have an integrated waterfall from the spa tub overflow spilling into the pool that cannot be shut off, or the spa receives no sanitation. I have tried balancing the spa drain with the fountain fill in the spa and found that to be an exercise in futility, so the excess spoils over into the pool.

Anyway, yesterday I dropped the ph to 7.0 and TA was around 80. Today, ph reads 7.2 and the TA reads at 60. My goal was to get TA to 50. My understanding is that the addition of MA is what actually lowers TA, so even though the ph reads 7.2, I need to add more acid to get that last 10 points, correct? Should I drop it back to 7.0 with a little more MA, or is the TA still dropping because the water is slightly more acidic than 7.5?
    12K Gal, IG plaster traditional chlorine pool with Spa Fountain & Waterfall feature, 2 skimmer, Raypak 2100 heater-currently broken :(
    2HP Challenger Pump, Pentair DE filter 48 sq. ft., The PoolCleaner 2 wheel suction side cleaner. Borates added.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: more in depth question about lowering TA

You might as well wait until the PH gets up to 7.5 before adding more acid. You can add acid now if you want, but it will just end up being more work for little advantage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: more in depth question about lowering TA

Gotcha, Thanks for the quick response!
    12K Gal, IG plaster traditional chlorine pool with Spa Fountain & Waterfall feature, 2 skimmer, Raypak 2100 heater-currently broken :(
    2HP Challenger Pump, Pentair DE filter 48 sq. ft., The PoolCleaner 2 wheel suction side cleaner. Borates added.