2nd go round with cloudy water

Dory

Jul 18, 2013
Pittsburgh , pa
I have a 15ft 48"deep above ground pool, I went on vacation for 2 weeks when I came back it was bright green, I freaked out, threw in 2 bags of shock and put 2 tablets in the skimmer, that was around 7P.M.( I understand while I was away it was extremely hot and humid here with rain almost every day. ) the next morning my pool was a beautiful shade of blue, sky blue, like my liner. I walked down to it and I couldn't see the top of my steps the water was so cloudy . Why I am posting this here is I also live in Pittsburgh ! I went to the pool store with my water sample, and this is what I was told (now , I'm new here so I haven't started your methods yet, in fact I don't know the correct terminology yet either) before she even checked my sample she said, " water cloudy?" We have had a lot of that lately. I told her what happened and what I did. She ran my test. I was told to add 7lbs of alkalinity booster, after 4-6 hrs add ph up .75 lbs, wait 2hrs add 2lbs of calcium hardener , then add 2 bags of shock. Wait 30 min. Then I should thoroughly brush the pool. I'm going to call the store and ask how I brush something I can't see, it's still cloudy! I am so interested in this post for obvious reasons, the burgh connection, the fact that the store was packed with people with the same cloudy problem, or in ground pools full of mulch! What do you all think of the formula she gave me. Also, she said I had NO chlorine in my pool! After all that shock and tablets. Now 2hrs after I added 2 more bags of shock, my test strip is showing normal ph, normal alkalinity , and NO chlorine. I am going to order a better home test kit. I want to scream, sorry this post is so long. Where is my chlorine going? :evil:

Re: High calcium, everything else in check but water is clou

Hey Dory!
Yes the weather here was horrific for a week. Terrible storms, hot, humid...nasty!
I'm no expert but I don't think that you should add alkalinity booster and ph booster at the same time. Doesn't alkalinity typically raise the ph as well? Perhaps one of these fantastic peeps can answer that?
I use bleach, borax, baking soda and on rare occasions granular shock. But that's it. Nothing else. And my local pool store lost my business when they tried to sell an older couple $1000 worth of chemicals which I am quite certain they didn't need.

Richard....I had my oldest jump in with his goggles. He says you can see the bottom fairly well from the top of the water (just by putting his face in) and my pool floor is in fact there, the nice blue pebbled pattern that I have come to love. And when he went down about 2 feet the water was clear at the bottom. I don't know. I had no desire to look for myself. Crazy!

This is my 2nd go round with cloudiness. I am starting to wonder about the advice I am getting ! I'm really glad I found this site. I'm going to wonder down to the pool now to take another look. Oh , I told the girl at the store I can't see the bottom to brush, she said just do the best I can, be patient and bring another water sample back in 3days. ( take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning!) I just retired, I'm going to have to get a job to support my pool ! Now at the water testing counter in the store, if you do not buy chemicals there or are not being treated for a problem while using their products their is a 5$ charge. Ok, I understand. Yesterday when I went in, in addition to the charge for water testing, there is a tip jar. I'm curious as to how soon I can make the switch to BBB. I will do more homework here tonight, read, read , read! I will learn this!

Wow, now they are charging for testing? When the testing is free, we always say you get what you pay for. Now we will have to say you get less than you pay for. At least it makes it a lot easier to justify the cost of the K-2006 or TF-100.

Ah $5 and a tip. How about I give them half, they take me out back and kick me in the rear and we call it even?

Welcome to TFP Dory!

Best thing is to ignore everything the pool store has told you and start your reading. Take a look at the Test Kit link in my signature and consider one of the recommended ones. Do your own testing, more accurate and doesn't cost $5 a pop. Read especially the SLAM page, it is the cure to a cloudy pool 99% of the time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.