Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Qn on backwash valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Qn on backwash valve

I have a Triton FP Plus 48 DE Filter. The handle of the backwash valve, which is more than 13 years old, broke recently and I started looking online to see what can replace it, but didn't see anything resembling what I currently have (black thingy, only have filter and backwash positions).

I suppose a 2" multi-port valve is the way to go? What is the right replacement valve? What is the model number?

Also, my setup is that the filter is on the right, and the pipes go leftwards to the return. The current setup has the backwash outlet of the valve pointing inside and had to have a U-shaped detour so that it comes out. When I replace it, I would like to have as little detours as possible. Do these valves come in left or right version?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Corinth, Texas

Re: Qn on backwash valve

Sounds like you have the push/pull type of valve? post a pic if you can...I have the push/pull valve and it broke after 17 yrs of use....this is the one I replaced it with...It is the updated version by Pentair and is much improved over the early design valve. The multiport is nice to have...but this installed with minimal plumbing change. ... 4AodzT4A0Q
    IG Gunite pool built in 1994 3ft/5ft/3ft about 10-12000 gallons, Pentair Challenger 1-1/2 hp pump, Pentair TR 60 Sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

It doesn't look like the push-pull one. Here's a picture of the valve (the handle broke off). Also, notice how the waste output faces inside so that it needed a detour to bring it out.[attachment=0:6wcc0byt]valve1.jpg[/attachment:6wcc0byt]

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't see any other suggestions. After doing more researching, I'm leaning towards a multiport in order to go from pool to waste since I sometimes gets a lot of leaves/debri on the pool. So, a multiport valve seems to make more sense. Is this the correct one to buy?

Pentair 261152,

Or any other suggestion?

5. Back To Top    #5

The 261152 (2 in. MPV, for FNS, FNS Plus & NSP filters [SM 20-2], 7.5 in. Centerline) should work for you. ... rs-131.htm