Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Level for Slam

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Level for Slam

I have an algae problem and a party in one week. I just discovered this forum and Pool School so I'm trying to get up to speed very rapidly. I am planning to begin Slamming my pool this afternoon and my question is this:

CYA is currently below recommended level. Should I leave it there for Slamming purposes (from what I've read on Pool School it will require less chlorine) or adjust it to recommended level prior to beginning Slam?

My TF100 kit arrives today so the levels I have to share are from two sources, Aquachek and a Swimline Hydrotools test kit.

Aquachek (readings as best I can tell)
    TH 100
    TC ~2.5
    FC ~2.5
    pH 6.9-7.0
    TA <80
    CYA 0-30

Drops test kit
    TC ~2.0
    FC ~2.5
    pH 7.3-7.4
    TA 40-50

These tests were performed this morning. I added 10 lbs Sodium Bicarbonate to boost TA to recommended level.

27,000 gal is an estimate. I'll be measuring for accuracy this afternoon.
    Mick
    22,000 gal in-ground vinyl
    Hayward Pro Series S-244S Sand Filter
    1 HP Self Priming Pump w/chlorine feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Level for Slam

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is usually good to have the CYA around 30ppm for the SLAM process. While the shock FC level is a little higher with the higher CYA, you will lose less FC to the sun and will thus actually use less bleach during the day. You certainly need > 0ppm of CYA because if you have none in the pool, you will lose 50% of the FC to the sun every hour in the middle of the day.

Good thing your TF100 arrives today ... as you are going to need it to get the pool cleared up by the party
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Leave CYA where it is until you test with your TF-100 test kit.

A CYA of 30ppm is a good level for completing the SLAM process.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Test kit arrived yesterday and demonstrated how useless the test strips really are.

FC 3
    CC .5
    TA 90
    CH 90
    CYA 40
    pH 7.2

Began slam process last night.

FC 34 (decided to use the yellow algae numbers just in case and overshot a little)
    CC .5

This morning no appreciable difference in color/clarity

FC 29
    CC .5

I was expecting the CC to have gone up by the amount the FC came down. Shouldn't the CC be going up if the chlorine is killing the algae? I obviously don't completely understand this stuff yet.

Also, I measured the pool and have a much more accurate estimate of 22,000 gal for pool size.
    Mick

5. Back To Top    #5

why are you dosing to FC 34?

That's for CYA 60 yellow/mustard shock.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Your FC SLAM level is a bit high. Chart tells me 20 ppm FC for CYA 40. I think you would be better off maintaing closer to that number.....34 is a bit higher than we suggest.

I was expecting the CC to have gone up by the amount the FC came down. Shouldn't the CC be going up if the chlorine is killing the algae?
    The amount of CC's in your pool cany vary during SLAM. Don't worry when that happens.

What's important is that CC's get down around .5 ppm as your water clears and you get near the end of the process.

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I understood the target FC to be 24 for yellow algae. I dosed to 34 by mistake using my previous estimate of pool size of 27,000 gal. After measurement and calculations I determined my pool size to be 22,000 (not a standard shape, rectangular deep end and oversize circle at shallow end with steps). Also, I had half a gallon of chlorine left after I used the amount the calculator called for (for 27,000) so I dumped it in rather than save it.

Water is fairly cloudy and greenish. I can still just barely make out the main drain after brushing.

Also, yesterday before beginning the SLAM I vacuumed the visible algae. I backwashed expecting to see a fair amount in the waste water. there was hardly any. I am assuming that means its all stuck in my filter. Will that release after it dies?
    Mick

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I am assuming that means its all stuck in my filter.
    No. That's why you backwash. Don't worry that you didn't catch much.

Backwash when you see your filter psi go up 25% or so from normal. You'll get there.....don't second guess yourself and keep following the process....it works.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

3rd morning after starting slam and pool is completely blue and almost completely clear. I added Cl right before bed last night so I have to wait until tonight for OCLT but judging by FC level this morning I'm expecting to pass. I got some DE to add to my sand filter to help with the clearing.

Any advice on transitioning from SLAM to maintenance?

4 days til party and it appears I'm in great shape! I can't fully explain how good it feels to perform a calculated procedure with the pool, expecting a certain result, and then getting that result. My days of blindly following pool store pretenders are over! Thank you so much Dave and other posters!
    Mick

10. Back To Top    #10

Just make sure you meet all 3 criteria before ending the SLAM. When your finished just let the FC level drift down and maintain your FC level in range with your CYA level. That'll be your maintaince levels.

Good job !!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

4 days til party and it appears I'm in great shape! I can't fully explain how good it feels to perform a calculated procedure with the pool, expecting a certain result, and then getting that result. My days of blindly following pool store pretenders are over! Thank you so much Dave and other posters!
    Transitioning to maintenance is as simple as allowing your FC to drift down on it's own from SLAM level to normal (3-5 ppm with CYA 40). Then make absolutely sure you never let FC go below that and you will have a crystal clear pool for the remainder of the season.

I understand completely about the satisfaction of knowing what and how much to put in your pool and getting the expected result.

The credit goes to you for your willingness to learn what we teach and then turning your knowledge into action.

There are no graduates from BBB school because the learning never stops but you are for sure a BBB'r.

Nice work

(reminder - keep that FC up at 3-5 ppm the rest of the season )
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2Mick
    3rd morning after starting slam and pool is completely blue and almost completely clear. I added Cl right before bed last night so I have to wait until tonight for OCLT but judging by FC level this morning I'm expecting to pass. I got some DE to add to my sand filter to help with the clearing.

After you pass the three tests (see red lines in my sig) allow the FC to drift back down to maintenance level. With 40 CYA, keep FC between 3 and 7 and never below 3.
    It is a great feeling when you know you are now in control of your pool.
    Can we see a pic of the pool? Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Pic of nice blue pool as requested :

[attachment=0:2k2i7aio]image (2).jpeg[/attachment:2k2i7aio]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mick

14. Back To Top    #14

One word..... SWEEEEEET

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

15. Back To Top    #15

Well done!

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit