Low PSI and One return Jet is Weak

Adam78

Jul 28, 2012
Hello,
This is my second post on here..the last one ended in a success! I have a question regarding low psi reading and a weak return jet. I have been in this house since last summer and have an approx 15,000 gallon inground pool, which has 2 return jets in it. All season the psi meter has been between 15-18. Today however I noticed that it is at about 10-12 and I also noticed that the jet in the shallow end is blowing significantly weaker then the one in the deep. Its still blowing but it is weaker for sure. I replaced the gauge already this year so I know its working fine. I read on other posts about the possibility of a blockage in the impeller, however since the deep end jet is strong I am thinking this probably is not the problem? We have a lot of trees around in our property and I have had to cut roots that were coming from next door pushing up some patio stones this summer. My questions are:
1) Could a clogged impeller effect only the pressure of one return jet and not the other?
2) Could a tree root damage the return line underground creating this problem?
3) Are there any other suggestions???

Thanks again for all your help on here
Adam

If the impeller is clear, then you have developed a restriction on the suction side of your system. Most likely some debris got through your skimmer and lodged somewhere between the skimmer and the pump.

It could definitely be a clogged impeller or something along those lines. I find that when I start to get weak flow out of my returns that it is more noticeable in the returns farther away from the pump.

Since you are seeing a drop in filter pressure, the problem is not a in the return lines, but as Duraleigh mentions in the suction side or with the pump.

Check the impeller first.

If clear, then stick a garden hose (at the pump) into the line where water comes in from the skimmer. Wrap a rag around that hose to get the best "seal" that you can to try to force the water backwards out through the skimmer.....hopefully dislodging any obstructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.