Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety Cover anchors

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety Cover anchors

We recently had our safety cover installed. This a pic of one of the anchors, over half are similar to this. I am thinking of calling back the installers, is there anything that can be done here? Will this chipping affect the cement?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30k gallon in-ground vinyl, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety Cover anchors

That chipping is due to using the hammer drill and trying to drill to fast. When I drilled my anchors, I had my drill reversed direction for the first few millimeters as well as using water (not dry drilling) Unfortunately, I still had some areas that cracked like yours.
    Your installer can fill the voids but it will chip out eventually. They could also come back and grind/sand down the area a bit then re stain (if stained).
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks.. i've seen other installs with collars around the anchors. maybe i can get them to put those in.. With all that money i spent getting this installed, i expected a better job.
    30k gallon in-ground vinyl, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

For what it's worth, I installed ours myself. I'm no professional but I drilled the holes myself with a hammer drill in 20 year old concrete and MAYBE one of the holes chipped like that. I wouldn't call your installation a "professional" job.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012