Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 11-year-old North Carolina girl electrocuted while swimming

1. Back To Top    #1

11-year-old North Carolina girl electrocuted while swimming

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/17...mming-in-pool/

Interesting how the girls in the water were fine until they tried to get out. It sure seems like the ladder should be at the same potential as the water - it's IN it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 11-year-old North Carolina girl electrocuted while swimm

Sounds like the deck and ladder weren't properly bonded. Very sad story.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

And this is why the NEC requires bonding. Somebody didn't do their job.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

If that were a high voltage line that fell in the parking lot I am not sure proper bonding would be enough to save her. The voltage potential from one side of the pool to the other could have been substantial, and there is only so much bonding can do.

Ike

p.s. a common lethal voltage shock from a fallen high voltage line is stray voltage in the ground shocking a nearby person due to different voltage potential between where each of their feet are placed, so remember if your ever in that kind of situation and MUST move small steps are better than large steps or hop from one foot to the next if you can.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

JohnT, (or other electrical guys/gals)

If they had stayed in the water until someone cut the power, would they have been OK?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    JohnT, (or other electrical guys/gals)

If they had stayed in the water until someone cut the power, would they have been OK?
    IMO, more than likely.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree. If they were ok before getting out (and the other two were ok) then by staying in the middle of the pool would have been fine. Kind of like, if your car has a power line fall on it, stay in the car and you'll be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm no expert, but isn't it possible the bonding made the situation MORE lethal, i.e. by making the ladder a better ground? If the ladder had been an isolated piece of metal, perhaps nothing would have happened.

I'm not against bonding, but it just isn't meant to deal with this situation.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    I'm no expert, but isn't it possible the bonding made the situation MORE lethal, i.e. by making the ladder a better ground? If the ladder had been an isolated piece of metal, perhaps nothing would have happened.

I'm not against bonding, but it just isn't meant to deal with this situation.
    Bonding is designed for this exact situation. It was inspired by a situation where a lifegaurd was electrocuted when an excavator touched a power line near a pool.

Bonding does not ground the parts of the pool. Bonding connects things together electrically so that they can't have a voltage difference between them. If the water the deck and the ladder are at the same voltage, you could put the end of a live power line in the pool and not shock the swimmers. You have to touch two points that are at different voltages to be shocked, which is what happened when she touched the ladder while in the water. That's why the bonding requirement extends 5' beyond the pool, so people can't reach out and touch unbonded metals.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

My guess is that the bonding was done incorrectly, such that things were worse than they would have been if the pool hadn't been bonded at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

John, in the excavator example, do you know if the overhead line was low or high voltage?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    John, in the excavator example, do you know if the overhead line was low or high voltage?
    I believe it was a primary line, but I'm not certain. I can't find the source right now. Too many hits from this story.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    My guess is that the bonding was done incorrectly, such that things were worse than they would have been if the pool hadn't been bonded at all.
    Can you explain how improper bonding could have actually made it worse? Layman's terms if possible.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm afraid this is mildly technical, but I have tried to tone it down. If the ladder was grounded, instead of bonded, the difference in ground potential between the pool location (and thus the bonding) and the utility ground some distance away would have been large. The downed power line would created a voltage that declined with distance from the wire. Meanwhile if the ladder was neither bonded or grounded it would have tended to be at the same potential as the water, since it was in electrical contact with the water. It is difference in potential that kills you, things at the same potential as you are fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Hmmmm, makes the whole bonding thing even more confusing to think that attempting it and not getting it right can actually make matters worse. Having a heater, my water is apparently bonded (I know my heater, pump, and concrete decking are bonded). My pool itself is thus far not bonded and even when I attach it (which I can't do this year until I extend the wire because the position of the pool changed from last year) it is only on one leg of an Ultra-Frame Intex and I don't know if anyone knows if that will be sufficient. I also use the Intex stock ladder, which has metal and we have made no attempt to bond that, but I think we were told that should be okay. Thoughts?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

16. Back To Top    #16

This is only code for seasonal pools in a few locations, but nominally you should have a bonding wire connected to the frame of the pool in four different locations spread out around the pool. The ladder should also be connected. Most places seasonal pools are exempt.

How important that is depends on how you feel about a one in fifty million chance of a member of your family dying (with nothing happening at all the other 49,999,999 times).

17. Back To Top    #17

Does having the water bonded but not the pool and ladder make it worse than no bonding at all?

18. Back To Top    #18

No, that is better than no bonding at all.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks.