Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Loss At Night With Solar Cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Loss At Night With Solar Cover?

I'm losing water to this nasty heat wave in the northeast, but also wondering whether a slow leak might be in play. I turned the pump off and put the solar cover down last night. When I checked this morning, the water was down a fraction - maybe 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch. If the pool is covered with a solar blanket at night, there shouldn't be any water loss, correct? I'll run a bucket test when I get a chance, but just wanted to check. Thanks.
    28k gallon in-ground vinyl. Sand filter. Hayward pump. Manual chlorination.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Loss At Night With Solar Cover?

There could be that much evaporation unless the solar cover perfectly seals the entire pool. The bucket test is going to provide the answer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave. It covers the entire pool except for perhaps 2 sq. ft. around the ladder. Will run the bucket test.
    28k gallon in-ground vinyl. Sand filter. Hayward pump. Manual chlorination.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Poolman10,

Just curious to know what your end result was. I seem to be going through the same now - losing about 1/16 of an inch with the solar cover on all the time. Only part of the pool not under the solar cover are the steps and a small cutout around the ladder.

Our pool temp was pretty high and the past week we've had a significant drop in outside temps at night. Hoping its due to evaporation and not a leak. I'm about to redo the bucket test - kids and rain got in the way of my first attempt.
    22,700 gallon, 18x36 Vinyl IG - Hayward EC65 Perflex DE Filter