New to Pools and about to start IG Roman end pool.

BQ

Jul 15, 2013
Everyone,
I'd like to thank you for the contributions and posts about your builds. They have been very helpful sorting through many of the primary decisions that need to be made. It has also created some indecision on my part on a couple important items and would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

We are pretty set on a roman end pool with a 9' or 10' depth with an 8' diving board
#1 20 x 40 or 18 x 44?

Surfaces
#2 Gunite with Pebbletec or Pebble Sheen or Liner?
I've read both price and general abrasive ness as downfalls of the Gunite and Pebbletec.
I've read liners can be ripped, but typically cost plus a replacement or two are about equal to Gunite and pebbletec

Deck surfaces
We like not slippery and not too hot to walk on. The rest is cost and appearance. Thoughts?

Anyone's input with experience on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BQ

Have you looked into Pebble Fina? I adopted a pool with that finish. I have swam in all three Pebble finishes. The Tec and Sheen are a bit abrasive and can be tough on tender skin but they are really attractive and durable.

Fina is very smooth like old school plaster but it uses crushed marble and quartz to add durability and to give it a little pop.

Check it out---->Pebble Fina

I replied to you earlier, but it seems my reply was lost,

On the topic of diving boards I feel deeper is always better, and longer is always better, in my experience the most common problem is someone making a semi shallow face first dive and clipping the slope coming up to the shallow end. My pool is a 20x40x9 traditional hopper end pool (30+ years old), and feel it is marginal for having a diving board. Simply put most residential pools are too small to safely handle a diving board, I would say an 18x36 would be the bare minimum, that is only if it has an unusually small shallow end, and 8.5 or 9 ft should be the bare minimum depth, with 10+ or 11+ being preferred.

Ike

Thanks guys. I saw your other post Isaac, but realized I was in the wrong sub forum...anyway, I am 6'4 and feel the deeper the better for the pool. I also have hit the incline to the shallow end, fortunately not hard enough to injure. So what is that distance from end of diving board that you would recommend. With a 40' pool I figured it wouldn't be an issue ant the purpose of going to a 44' pool was actually to increase the shallow end since the 10' pool depth would drastically effect the length of the shallow end.

UN...I haven't heard of Pebble Fina but am very interested. It looks great in photos. Now if I can find someone with it to see in person. :roll:

What did you guys do for a pool deck?

My pool is 18' x 43'. 5' of the length is taking up by stairs. I would suggest getting it as long as possible if you are going to have a diving board.

Have you considered a diving rock/stone?

Have you considered making one of your steps in the Roman end large, like a sun deck?

Harley,
Believe it or not, my insurance company would choose not to cover us if we have a diving rock, but are OK with a diving board. (Opposite of most other insurance companies around here)
Do you have photos of your pool? I realize it's a sport pool, but the overall footprint is near what I was thinking.

Yes it is, i love it! It is expensive but worth it. Once we determined we wanted one we decided to stick with a rectangle design so that the cover wouldn't have to pull across concrete. People put them on odd shaped pools, butthe tracks then are mounted on the surface of the deck, vs. under coping.

I don't really have a specific suggestion, I can tell you though that on my pool the common danger zone of clipping the slope is centered about the mid point of the pool (so 20 ft from either end, or maybe 2-4 ft closer to the shallow end from the center), and the center point of the pool has just over 5 ft of water.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
harleysilo said:
Yes it is, i love it! It is expensive but worth it. Once we determined we wanted one we decided to stick with a rectangle design so that the cover wouldn't have to pull across concrete. People put them on odd shaped pools, butthe tracks then are mounted on the surface of the deck, vs. under coping.
Do you have any close ups of the coping where the track runs?
Do you feel it saves you the "advertised" savings? Ie Chemicals, water evaporation, heating if applicable?
Thanks,
BQ

I posted some in this thread automatic-cover-observations-coverstar-t46899.html

We bought the cover because we have kids and like the security. Yes you can walk on it, in fact you pretty much have to step out on it to put the cover pump on it in prepartion for rain. You could have a party with 20 of your closest friends on it if you wanted to. The cover will collect the rain water and that has to be kept pumped off. Actually you could leave it on, but you aren't suppossed to open it with water sitting on it (too much weight for motor). If i didn't pump it off eventually it would overflow into the pit and drain from there. It won't damage the cover, it's designed to support that much weight (which is really just resting on the pool's water).

I agree with all of the manufacture's claims. Yesterday when i got home pool was 96. The cover eliminates a huge %, probably 99, of evaporation. If my chlorine gets a little high my pool stays high for days. Having the cover on while the pool is not in use means almost no debris gets in the pool. I only manually vacumed once last year, and none this year. Once this year, a few weeks ago, my pool water smelled "stinky". pool-water-smells-like-stinky-t65599.html It went away the next day. I think i just need to leave the cover open a little more and it won't happen again.

Update:
After getting an education on safety covers, and differences on liners vs gunite, we have opted against the safety cover and gunite.
So it's a vinly liner pool we're going forward with.
The quotes on the auto cover were around $14,000 which don't justify it's "savings" in my opinion.
I checked out 2 liner pools done by different companies. One just put a liner over the steel steps with no back fill. The stairs were hard and hollow sounding and even flexed a little. The seams were very noticible as the print had worn away exposing just white vinyl. The pool is only 1 year old. :(

The second pool was done by a company that won't serve my area due to distance, however, the stairs were rigid, but soft on the treads.
The H/O said it was just vermiculite that was used.

One of the pool builders we are looking at uses a light blue foam pad around the pool.

Does anyone have any insight on either of these methodologies?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.