Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is HTH Liquid Chlorinator?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is HTH Liquid Chlorinator?

Hello all. This site has been a life saver for a new pool owner this spring/summer. I bought a house with a pool in March and used this site to help get my pool management techniques and use the BBB method. I remember everyone recommended "liquid chlorine" if you could source it, but going for bleach if you were unable to find the "liquid chlorine." Long story short, I have been using 8.25% bleach with great success. Today though, I noticed "HTH Liquid Chlorinator" while I was in my local Ace Hardware. The active ingredient was 10% Sodium Hypochlorite, AKA bleach. Is this the liquid chlorine I read about at the beginning of my learning experience? I almost bought it on the spot beings is was inexpensive yet at a higher concentrate than the 8.25% bleach I have been using, but I decided to come here first. Is this safe for the BBB method, or does this product have other by products bad for my CYA similar to the tablets?
    12Kgal, AG, Sand, Hayward Swim Pro SW256T PAKS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is HTH Liquid Chlorinator?

Yes, it is liquid chlorine, same as 8.25% bleach just stronger.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Same thing. Just do the math on cost per Oz of active chlorine.

Cost x oz x percentage = cost per active oz

Compare that to your regular source of bleach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

To compare prices between the liquid chlorine and bleach, you can use this calculator.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. There's no need for me to compare. It's cheaper for the gallon of liquid chlorine than the gallon of 8.25% bleach. The concentrate calculation would only prove it to be an even better value.

6. Back To Top    #6

Really! How much is the HTH liquid at ace?

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker

$2.99/gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by VOLmaniac
    Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker

$2.99/gallon
    It's the same price here in Miami
    Bleach 8.25% vs liquid chlorine 10% (from the pool store)
    2.99/gallon
    Pool Size: 16'x32' 14,200 Gallons with spa
    Pool Type: Inground,Diamond Brite Blue Quartz
    Pump:STA-RITE 2hp Pump & AquaPure PLC700 SWG (New Version)
    Filter: STA-RITE PXC 150 Cartridge

9. Back To Top    #9

They do not even show that product as being available online. Interesting.

I note their DE is quite competitively priced, but like everything else (with mine at least), it must be ordered, which means I can't use Ace Rewards (possibly the worst Rewards program out there outside of CVS)

15,694 gallons, Sta-Rite DE filter, 3/4 HP Heyward Superpump, Polaris

10. Back To Top    #10

I believe the reason it does not show in their on-line store is that due to the safety sheet requirements, it can not be shipped. Here in Phx., they have it on sale only thru labor day for 6.99 for 2 gallons.
    In ground plaster, ~9200 gallons, 1.5hp Whisperflow model WFE-6 pump, Pentaire Clean-N-Clear Plus Model CCP420 Filter- 1 skimmer, 4 returns built in 2003. Just purchased TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Be careful, i was in ace the other day and saw it was on sale as well. I was going to grab some, I checked the date per the julian dating thread, and it was bottled in 2013. Naturally, I didn't get it. I still get the best deal at the pool supply that has 4 gallon returnable crate w/jugs 12.5% (hasa chlorine). Its fresh, cheap, strong, and the biggest plus for me is no waste of bleach bottles.
    IG Gunite play pool 15k gallon 20' x 30' , System:3 cartridge filter S8M150, Stenner pump, Fiber optic lights 3 head with color wheel, TF-100 Testkit, CYA-50, FC-6, CH-375, TA-40, PH-7.8

12. Back To Top    #12

Danny,
    What do you pay for the 4, 1 gallon 12.5% and what pool store in Phx. do you buy it from? I need to SLAM (1st time) my pool, but have found the cost to be about 4.00 per gallon.
    In ground plaster, ~9200 gallons, 1.5hp Whisperflow model WFE-6 pump, Pentaire Clean-N-Clear Plus Model CCP420 Filter- 1 skimmer, 4 returns built in 2003. Just purchased TF-100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

I get it from abes pool supply, around the corner from my house. (cave creek and greenway rd.) They carry a lot of used stuff, as well, its really nice place the have. It is 12$ for a 4 gallon crate, plus the bottle fee the first time. They get shipments weekly so it's always fresh, and hasa has the manafucter in West Phoenix. If you are not close to abe's, http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php you can find a dealer close.B & L also do chlorine 4 gallon crates, but I cant speak for the freahness, but the are approximately the same price.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you Danny......The HASA dealers in the SE valley are closer to 16.00 for 4 gallons.

15. Back To Top    #15

Just a little FYI.......Kroger (Frys Foods) has 10% $4.99 for 2 gallons........had 16 237 date on it, so its fairly current......
    Phoenix, AZ USA 12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair TR-100 sand filter, Jandy/Zodiac ePump series-variable speed, builit 1991 (re-plastered with pebble 2013-new pump 2011), Taylor 2006 test kit with (FAS-DPD) chlorine test w/speedstir, Spa attached

16. Back To Top    #16

BTW for the OP, you may also find liquid chlorine labeled as "liquid shock".
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit